New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newbie with customizing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:41 PM
robjh22

Default Newbie with customizing question

Hello, this is my first post. I have a question about customizing used Mustangs. First, regarding paint: if you are going to get a really good paint job, in red for example, should the car already have a red paint job on it? I am sure they can paint it yellow or blue or purple, but I just suspect that the painter's job would be less complicated if he didn't have to sand off every speck of paint in every nook and cranny.

Second, do customized cars have a value that is anywhere near what the customizer puts in to it? I may like purple with green flames, but my car won't be your dream car. Maybe it's best to keep it as close to original as possible.

Last question concerns the motor. Would it be more prudent to get something with very high mileage and replace the motor, or something with low milage and just soup up the motor.

Thanks for any suggestions or thread you can steer me to.

Rob
Old 07-20-2015, 07:09 AM
BobbyBatronic

You can paint it whatever color you'd like, I would guess it might cost more if you're going from white to black, but I've also never had a car repainted.

If you're trying to sell it to a dealer or filing a claim with an insurance company, you should just take the mods off and sell them individually because they only pay for the stock value with the mileage and condition factored in. If your selling to a private party, I would still say that you lose money but how much depends on finding someone willing to meet your price.

I would always look for the lowest mileage possible. depending on the car, a new engine could cost as much as the car itself. You also have to worry about all of the other parts of the car breaking with high mileage.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 AM
robjh22

Thanks, Bobby. Makes sense.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:29 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome...here's what I think:

Q1. Regarding paint: if you are going to get a really good paint job, in red for example, should the car already have a red paint job on it? I am sure they can paint it yellow or blue or purple, but I just suspect that the painter's job would be less complicated if he didn't have to sand off every speck of paint in every nook and cranny.
A1: A radical change in color, for example from black to white, would require the painter to lay down a solid primer base to mask the darker color underneath...once that is done, it's a matter of painting the brighter color on top. Lots of work, but doable. Sanding the old color off is not needed.

Q2: Second, do customized cars have a value that is anywhere near what the customizer puts in to it? I may like purple with green flames, but my car won't be your dream car. Maybe it's best to keep it as close to original as possible.
A2: Generally, the answer is no. You could spend $10K customizing your car, but it does not mean that your car is now worth $10K over what blue book value may say. Specially, if you are trading to a car dealer. Some folks, opt to revert the car back to stock as much as possible, selling the mods to other people, then trading it. Also, remember that customizing a car is just that...a custom, a personalized way of adding or deleting things to your car base on your taste. Someone may share same "likes" , but others may not.

Q3: Last question concerns the motor. Would it be more prudent to get something with very high mileage and replace the motor, or something with low milage and just soup up the motor.
A3: Hmmm....difficult question to answer. A well-maintained, high-mileage engine may last longer than a low mileage, not so well maintained one. If you buy a high mileage used car and replacing the engine will cost you 1/3 of what you paid for the car...you should think about it. Is it worth the investment? Your call.

Hope this helps some. I am sure others will have other opinions, this one is just mine and not the absolute one out there.

Welcome, BTW.

Last edited by TPony; 07-20-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:59 AM
robjh22

Thanks, TPony. What is going on here is that I like the idea of getting a brand new Mustang and customizing it, but truth be known I much prefer the appearance of the fifth generation Mustangs (2005-2014). Moreover, if I buy, just for example, a 2010, I can get it for much less than a new one and spend some of the savings on modifications and a great paint job. Of course, by the time I am finishing modifying it I will have spent as much or more than a new one would costs LOL! It'll be okay. There is a 2012, I think, in black that is owned by this kid at Kinko's near where I live and it really makes my head turn when I see it. The 2015's just don't do that to me. Totally irrational, but there it is ....

Thanks so much for the answers, as they are really helping.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 AM
robjh22

Also embarrassed to say that I know almost none of what this means:

"Roush Fascia/chin/scoop, DD 18X9 w/NT555 255/45/18, GTA Axlebacks, GT500 spoiler/pedals. Interior billet upgrades, seq, eng dress up, chrm valve cvrs, BBK Shorties, Steeda LCA, GMS CAI SCT X3, Brenspeed 93, drilled/slotted rotors."

Did you guys learn all this stuff and add it all on gradually?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM
robjh22

Okay, I see now. google is my friend!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 AM
BobbyBatronic

A fascia is referring to an aftermarket body kit for the front end of the car (hood, front bumper, grill and lights etc.)

18x9 is the diameter of your rims x the width of your rims
255/45/18 are your tire sizes, 255 is the width of the tire, 45 is the amount of tire wall (percentage of the width so 45% of 255) and the 18 is your rim size.

Axle backs are the end part of your exhaust system to include your mufflers. While your shorties are aftermarket headers and are located before the x/h pipe abandd channel the fumes into the rest of the exhaust.

Gt500 spoiler/pedals are self explanatory.

Engine dress up are usually covers, lids, or dipsticks that have custom logos or designs to make the engine bay look more attractive.

CAI is short for "cold air intake" which allows for more airflow than the factory air box.

Sct x3 is the hand held tuner and brenspeed 93 is probably the 93 octane tune that's currently on it.

Drilled/slotted rotors are the part of your brake system that the brake pads are pushed against by the calipers to slow the vehicle. The slots allow for better cooling so you don't burn up your brakes
Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

^ Could not have said it better...thanks! BTW, I learned all that stuff by reading forums like this one. Lots of folks out there to help out and lots of them who have tried many things so that we can learn. Mods are normally installed slowly...or at least I did. Unless you have a solid plan upfront of what you want to do, then spend the $$ and time doing it.

Last edited by TPony; 07-20-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 AM
BobbyBatronic

Same here, I couldn't count the amount of time I've spent scrolling through forums. And anytime you need to install or replace anything on your car, take some time to poke around and see how everything is connected and how it works together.

Quick Reply: Newbie with customizing question