New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Finally Free!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:41 PM
soddyspeed

Default Finally Free!!

Hello All,

I am 41 years old, practice anesthesia at a midsize hospital in Chattanooga TN, and I have ALWAYS wanted to restore an old Mustang. I titled this thread "Finally Free" not for the reasons you might think a middle aged man would do so. I am happily married and have been for many years. What I am free from is the enslavement of an investment home or "flip house" that has consumed all of my money and time for the last few years. My wife and I sold it last month, the money is in the bank, and I am ready to play!!

As my story goes I briefly owned a 1966 mustang 289 coupe while in college (20 years ago . . .whew). I bought it from my preacher who had been in an accident with the car and sold it to me for a steal. Like any kid who didn't know better I slathered a healthy cake of Bondo on the damaged areas and promptly dropped the car off at Maaco paint for the $199 special. Not ideal but I didn't care. It served me well in this aspect: it ignited a passion for old mustangs that has never died.

Over the last 20 years, that love for the beautiful classic got pushed aside. Wife, kids, career, another wife, more kids. I'm sure that I'm telling the story of more than one member of this forum. But now I am finally at a place in my life where the money and time has availed itself just enough for me to jump in head first.

I recently picked up a 1967 Mustang 289 auto coupe. I am by no means a gear head and have limited mechanical experience but I am eager to learn. My hope is to do a frame up restomod. I've done a fair amount of the obligatory reading and I feel confident that I will not arrive at a genuine consensus on how to begin, progress, or complete one single project. With literally thousands of ideas and opinions out there it is hard to know where to start!

But, as this is MY journey, I will begin with what makes the most sense to me - body and frame work. When I began my journey with the "Flip House" I was already well versed in building and construction. It was a no brainer that I would start with the foundation and floor joists. After all "a house built on a poor foundation . . . " I suppose it then seems logical to do the same with this old car.

To that end I respectfully ask that each of you reading this please take the time to offer a bit of yourself, your wisdom, to aid in my journey. I will honor your contribution and and be indebted as I employ your knowledge. This, my journey, might become "our journey" as my completed project will be a culmination of efforts from all of my new friends in this community forum.

Thank you all,
Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard!!

Have the car inspected by someone knowledgable.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:48 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you. Great intro by the way.

I'm a tick older than, happily married, father of 4 TEENAGERS at the moment, and trying to raise them in a biblical manner. Which, is almost impossible these days lol.

Great advice above, get the car to inspected by someone in the business. They should be more than happy to help you point out what the car is going to need,and if it's something you'll want to tackle. I did all the body work and paint on my car, and I've learned that I SUCK at bodywork and paint lol.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 11-18-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

One of the best intros so far Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Chad@Amp’D
Former Sponsor

Welcome.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

Welcome!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 PM
abepw

Welcome, great bio, Good luck with a rebuild.