New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I'm baaaaaack

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 AM
ex05gt

Default I'm baaaaaack

Hi all. My username says it. But, I have an opportunity to get my hands on an 82 Capri. I just have to go from nor-cal to Salt lake city to pick it up. It's free. And the owner said it could be driven back. But, I'm gonna put it on a dolly and tow it back. There are alot of desolate highway between Salt Lake and Reno! It has a built 351 and a 4 speed. Tons of new parts. Complete exhaust,clutch, shocks, carb, raidiator, fuel pump, a/c, stereo etc. The work was done 8-10 years ago. It's been in storage and only has a bout 4k miles on it since it was done. I don't know much about the capris (or mustangs of that era) but, I'm really excited to go pick it up next weekend! I'm wondering if I should pull the driveshaft out in order to tow it. Idk if the gear oil will drain out. Looking for some feedback. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:55 AM
ex05gt

Originally Posted by ex05gt
Hi all. My username says it. But, I have an opportunity to get my hands on an 82 Capri. I just have to go from nor-cal to Salt lake city to pick it up. It's free. And the owner said it could be driven back. But, I'm gonna put it on a dolly and tow it back. There are alot of desolate highway between Salt Lake and Reno! It has a built 351 and a 4 speed. Tons of new parts. Complete exhaust,clutch, shocks, carb, raidiator, fuel pump, a/c, stereo etc. The work was done 8-10 years ago. It's been in storage and only has a bout 4k miles on it since it was done. I don't know much about the capris (or mustangs of that era) but, I'm really excited to go pick it up next weekend! I'm wondering if I should pull the driveshaft out in order to tow it. Idk if the gear oil will drain out. Looking for some feedback. Thanks!
I forgot the pic. DOH!
Attached Thumbnails I'm baaaaaack-document-5-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Your getting that for free ??? You lucky bastourd lol.

As for towing it that distance,. I've seen people back the car onto the dolly so the front of the car is rolling. But I don't know if that's a recommended practice. I've only used car trailers for transport.

Good luck, an hope to see some updates in the 79-95 Tech section.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I think main difference was rear window was more rounded.

Congrat's. Should be super fast. Don't think they weighed all that much.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 PM
ex05gt

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Your getting that for free ??? You lucky bastourd lol.

As for towing it that distance,. I've seen people back the car onto the dolly so the front of the car is rolling. But I don't know if that's a recommended practice. I've only used car trailers for transport.

Good luck, an hope to see some updates in the 79-95 Tech section.
I think putting it rear first on the dolly requires a tow-truck license. In Ca. I'm pretty sure it does. Don't know about UT. My friend suggested that I remove the drive shaft from the rear end and wire it up out of the way. That way I don't have to worry about the oil coming out. Makes sense to me.