New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New 1994 Mustang GT owner

Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM
VTMongoose

Default New 1994 Mustang GT owner

Hello,

Today I brought home a 1994 Mustang GT I purchased from a friend of mine, purchased as a backup car for my autocross/track performance toy (2012 Mazdaspeed3). It was his DD for a few years. It has somewhere north of 300k miles on it, we are not sure because the odometer did not work for a while until he fixed the gears inside the cluster.

The car is in fair condition overall and needs all fluids changed and new tires, which is the easy stuff. It may also need an engine mount or two as I noticed the engine seems to move side to side a little in the engine bay at idle.

The two primary problems I will be looking to deal with over the next couple months are that the driver's power seat does not work at all (may look into converting to a manual track) and the car is significantly down on power. It idles a little rough (misses occasionally) which I attribute to the spark plugs being long overdue. I will replace those soon with some NGK 3403's and of course check compression to see how healthy the engine is. The distributor cap and rotor were changed about a year ago, along with the spark plug wires.

The only codes I was able to get from the ECU tonight were 334 and 543 (he replaced the ITFP at one point and this is likely the cause of the 543, as for the 334, I am not concerned at this time about the EGR).

My initial suspicion here is that the cats on one or both banks are clogged. If I floor it in 1st gear, the car seems to pull strong at first, but struggles harder and harder as the RPM's climb, as if it is working against some kind of significant resistance (amazingly, it does not knock or misfire and pulls very smoothly)...even in 1st gear, reaching 5000 RPM's is very difficult right now. I'm aware that these are not very powerful cars from the factory, however I can say for certain the car is not even producing 125 wheel horsepower right now.

Looking forward to facing these challenges and more...the car is pretty solid overall and the rust situation isn't too bad for its age. My goals for the car are to keep it reliable and get it running closer to how it came from the factory, nothing more.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.

Any questions you have, start a thread in the Tech section and we'll try to help over there.

Good luck