New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Stock vs mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 AM
dannyboy_1320

Default Stock vs mods

Hi everyone, new member so this is probably in the wrong area.

If everything goes according to planned, I will be picking up a 100k mile 100% stock black 1998 vert gt tonight. Seeing as how it is original down to the factory radio and CD player, I was most likely going to leave it stock and ride around with it for a while since stock older mustangs seem to be like unicorns. Obviously however, I will struggle with this as anyone who has a nice ride will always want to modify it. So I'm asking you guys on the forum wether you guys would keep it full stock, do light bolt ons, or say to hell with it and just go crazy. Any input appreciated
Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I have a '12 that is stock and I've thought about modding it but because its pretty quick stock and its quiet, a better ride etc. I might just leave it at that.

I have a 99 that is modded (bolt ons) and its more fun but after adding mods, its much louder, rides like **** and isn't a subtle car. And its not as quick as the '12.

Once you start modding its tough to just leave it at a few things only. So having said that, with a '98 I would look into new gears between a 3.73 and 4.10 (or 3.90) and maybe a catback and leave it at that.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Since it is a convertible, I would leave it stock. Stock all original cars are worth more in the long run if you really take care of it.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:21 AM
carid
Former Sponsor

Sounds like a great find, welcome to the forum! Maintain it well and it will be loyal to you.

If you ever have any questions or need assistance with finding parts for your Stang, let us know, we will be glad to help you!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:11 PM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
I have a '12 that is stock and I've thought about modding it but because its pretty quick stock and its quiet, a better ride etc. I might just leave it at that.

I have a 99 that is modded (bolt ons) and its more fun but after adding mods, its much louder, rides like **** and isn't a subtle car. And its not as quick as the '12.

Once you start modding its tough to just leave it at a few things only. So having said that, with a '98 I would look into new gears between a 3.73 and 4.10 (or 3.90) and maybe a catback and leave it at that.
Check out the Solo Mach catback. It sounds really good when accelerating, but it has 100% zero drone when cruising.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM
shartlen

Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
Check out the Solo Mach catback. It sounds really good when accelerating, but it has 100% zero drone when cruising.

I have a 2012 3.7L with

Steeda Cold Air Intake
BBK Throttle body
BBK long tube headers
"X" Pipe
Magnaflow exhasut
Bully Dog Programmer

I still am trying to get a ball park on HP, as these were recent mods, but love the ride.