Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Best way to get under the car to change oil with 245/40ZR19 tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Dredd

Default Best way to get under the car to change oil with 245/40ZR19 tires

My mustang Gt has the 19" rims on it with the california special package. Anyway I need to know what you guys do to get underneath the car to change the oil. It's coming up on time to do my first change. Are there any ramps that are recommended for such wide tires? I looked at Rhino ramps but they don't recommend using anything wider than about 9.5" on the 12,000lb ramps and a 245 tire is almost 9.7" across. Is there another brand worth looking into? Maybe just a good floor jack? What do you guys recommend?

I prefer to change my own oil, always have done my own with every vehicle I've owned. This is my first car with such wide tires though.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Don't sweat using those ramps, your tires are fine. I've been using wide tires on the standard sized ramps for years. So what that the tire doesn't fit. I secure the car well to prevent it going anywhere.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

If you're going to use a floor jack, be sure to invest in some jack stands. Floor jacks can and do leak or break. You don't want to get your fat **** stuck under the car waiting for your wife to wake up from her nap after you've been yelling for an hour. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Dredd

Originally Posted by jsnyng
If you're going to use a floor jack, be sure to invest in some jack stands. Floor jacks can and do leak or break. You don't want to get your fat **** stuck under the car waiting for your wife to wake up from her nap after you've been yelling for an hour. Ask me how I know.
Oh no doubt. I have some jack stands but no floor jack (it gave out years ago and never replaced it).

unleashedbeast, what size tires are you using on the standard ramps?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I've used 255/45/18 once a week frequently. I've always got my Shelby up on those ramps doing something. I can never stop modding this car.

Originally Posted by jsnyng
That would suck, and also why I always use jack stands with ramps when I have the entire car off the ground. I even leave the jack in place to support the car if the stand gives out.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

you wont have a prob with the width of your wheels. its a recommendation from a company that wants to avoid lawsuits and goes beyond the needed safe. just make sure to put your emergency brake on and place your wheel chucks behind the the rear tires and we'll be fine. if you want to go with jacks and a stand you don't need to put out a lot of money unless your a true gear head. about $75 should get you a 2 ton jack and two stands.
heres $50 set from advance auto, it'll get the job done nothing fancy.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._T|GRP2042____
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Dredd

I guess in my head I was worried about the numbers game. Thanks everyone
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

definitely use wheel chucks. i actually had one of my cars roll on me one time and after that i always do it now.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dredd
My mustang Gt has the 19" rims on it with the california special package. Anyway I need to know what you guys do to get underneath the car to change the oil. It's coming up on time to do my first change. Are there any ramps that are recommended for such wide tires? I looked at Rhino ramps but they don't recommend using anything wider than about 9.5" on the 12,000lb ramps and a 245 tire is almost 9.7" across. Is there another brand worth looking into? Maybe just a good floor jack? What do you guys recommend?

I prefer to change my own oil, always have done my own with every vehicle I've owned. This is my first car with such wide tires though.
These are out of my price range but look like they are made for wide tires

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-Low.../dp/B000AOO0MK
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
These are out of my price range but look like they are made for wide tires

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-Low.../dp/B000AOO0MK
man, those ramps are awesome. Perfect for lowered cars.

Quick Reply: Best way to get under the car to change oil with 245/40ZR19 tires