MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oil and Oil Related Topics (https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-and-oil-related-topics-128/)
-   -   oil question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/oil-and-oil-related-topics/623652-oil-question.html)

Supercharged99 11-16-2010 05:24 PM

mostly highway

DreamerGT 11-16-2010 06:39 PM

Thats it? Come on man need more info to help you.

MU71L4710N 11-16-2010 07:10 PM

dont you love it when you ask a detailed question and get a very bland answer?

Rockwell28 11-16-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by DreamerGT (Post 7293755)
If your vortech is tapped in the oil pan then I would run a 5w-30. As for oil, how long do you plan on going between changes? Is your car a weekend car or DD? What kind of driving do you do? shorts trips, all highway. stop and go? Do you go to the track?

Why do you say run 5w-30 if you're running a vortech with your pan tapped. Im askin because im running 5w-20 right now but no one really gave me any info on diff weights of oil while running a sc.

ShadyNinja 11-16-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rockwell28 (Post 7293926)
Why do you say run 5w-30 if you're running a vortech with your pan tapped. Im askin because im running 5w-20 right now but no one really gave me any info on diff weights of oil while running a sc.

Beast you wanna Field this one?
:icon_deal:

Bladerunner 11-17-2010 01:49 AM

I have always used Mobil 1 10W30 and a Motorcraft oil filter.
I change my engine oil every 3-4K miles and my mustang seems
to run excellent.Run what works best for you.

MU71L4710N 11-17-2010 01:59 AM

mobil 1 is crap. i would much rather buy a quality oil and run it for 10k miles than run mobil 1 every 3k miles.

quality oils changed at 7-10k miles, come back with better UOA's than mobil1 does at 3k miles. google up some charts, proof is in the pudding.

uberstang1 11-17-2010 05:46 AM

I don't think I could ever bring myself to run my car 5-7k miles on an oil change even with the proof of UOAs and what not. I just change mine every 3 months regardless of mileage. My car is by no means a DD and sees maybe 4-5k miles per year. When you start sinking money into superchargers and build short/longblocks spending 30$ bucks every 3 months (shelf brand full syn and filter) is nothing in the big scheme of things. Is it overkill? Most people will say yes. But if you spend 8-10k building an engine whats 30$ bucks every 3 months.

MU71L4710N 11-17-2010 11:40 AM

what kind of oil are you running thats "shelf brand full synthetic"? because i don't know of any shelf brand TRUE synthetics. because by full synthetic i assume your referring to a group iv oil.

how is proof of UOA's not enough? when you start getting into group iv synthetic oils they are man made, its not refined crude oil comming out of the dirt. there is no sludging like that of conventional or "shelf brand full synthetics". TRUE synthetics offer better protection over longer OCI's than generic stuff off the shelf changed at 3k miles. its fact, UOA's are proof of that.

uberstang1 11-17-2010 12:30 PM

When I am saying shelf brand full synthetic I am referring to group III base forumlas that are labeled as "full synthetic", such as synpower,pennzoil ultra, mobil one, so on and so fourth. Im not trying to debate group IV oils and by no means am i saying UOAs are false, I am just simply stating its a pet peve of mine to change my oil every 3 months regardless, I'm rather particular about fluid changes and I'm so anal about it I cut my oil filter open each time and inspect for any foreign material................For the 30-35$ every 3 months it might be realistically a waste of money but it gives me peice of mind especially if I find evidence of future engine failure inside that filter. Also on a comedic note it gives me an excuse to get a case of beer and some buddies down the garage and get away from the woman for a few hours and thats PRICELESS.

TRUE synthetics offer better protection over longer OCI's than generic stuff off the shelf changed at 3k miles. its fact, UOA's are proof of that.
As far as that debate I personally do not see any benefit running the group IV over the group III considering I change it on a 3 month base regardless of mileage.