Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD

the problem is that when you do the BOV after the s/c and before the MAF, the air gets sucked back through the maf to an extent and makes a mean rich spike... a blow through specific maf is needed, but they are hard to find and harder to tune, bc nobody uses them.. it can be done, its just difficult
Old 10-25-2007, 04:23 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

OP said it was for a ProCharger. ProCharger setups use a blow through MAF.

On a ProCharger setup it goes: Air Filter, IAT, Head Unit, IC, MAF, BPV (routes back before IAT in intake tube between air filter and head unit), Intake.

Getting the blow through setup tuned correctly hasn't been a problem for me but I haven't tried a BOV setup. I don't know why you would need to it just makes noise -my head unit is too loud to begin with. I don't need any more noise advertising what is going on under my hood.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I've always liked that sound. Kind of an obsession I'll talk tothe tuning guys on Saturday and see what they say about it. Without pictures to explain this setup, I wont get it fully.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

ok your going to need a MAF sensor a new one...the stock one wont work with Pro charger no matter what they tell you i ran into this problem first handed, PMAS, aka pro mas airflow systems makes an excellent one, i talked to the guy he has even tryed to get procharger to put them in their kits but it raises the price of the kit there for they wont. Also note not every car running a blow through system will need a new MAFs, it depends on how much boost and air is flowing through the sensor, your sensor has a sweep range and as more air is added the range is pegged out. thus why most turbos and pro chargers will recommend a blow through MAF, how ever i know a few cars running a stock MAF just fine. as for the blow off valve, you can tune for it, ive seen it on a 351 car with a F-2 pro charger, i just dont know the exact way to go about it
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moocow_v

ok your going to need a MAF sensor a new one...the stock one wont work with Pro charger no matter what they tell you i ran into this problem first handed, PMAS, aka pro mas airflow systems makes an excellent one, i talked to the guy he has even tryed to get procharger to put them in their kits but it raises the price of the kit there for they wont. Also note not every car running a blow through system will need a new MAFs, it depends on how much boost and air is flowing through the sensor, your sensor has a sweep range and as more air is added the range is pegged out. thus why most turbos and pro chargers will recommend a blow through MAF, how ever i know a few cars running a stock MAF just fine. as for the blow off valve, you can tune for it, ive seen it on a 351 car with a F-2 pro charger, i just dont know the exact way to go about it
You know, that's some of the best information on a MAF I've seen yet. I'm trying to decide how to go about this setup. I have the Vortech S-trim kit, just need the fuel pump, MAF and injectors. I am having trouble NOT paying over$300 for one as I'd like to keep it low. I'll need to upgrade the fuel system in a year or so anyway; so no need to spend an arm and a leg for a fuel pump that is responsible for only 10 psi or so.

As for the MAF, do you have a link to the one you're talking about? I'd like to read up on those so I don't have to keep bugging the guys on this forum about it, but this setup is hard to find. You're actually only one of two places that I've even found the existance of this setup. I'd love to do it, but I need to know how first. Thanks for the informatio, by the way
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

currently the place i got mine the webpage is down but here is the link that i went through,
www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?inmanuid=95&fcmd=manlist&inmake= 0
to order one from here you will need a few specs, i believe they ask if its turbo, or procharger, and injector size because these sensors are custom built tuned and bench flow tested, when they sent mine it came with a flow bench card i sent that card with my tuner to help tune the car, if the link isnt up soon ill try to find another one
another thing ill add, when i first put my procharger on it was not tuneable, i would call for more fuel in the tune and fuel wasnt being added, we checked fuel psi, it was right, checked inj pulse width and duty cycle they were doing fine, i narrowed it down the MAF, the stock one was just pegged out with all the air coming through it, called the guys at PMAS, asked if they heard of any problems similar and they said 90% of their calls are of the same problem! i put the new MAF on and the car ran better even without a tune.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

Trick, don't skimp out on the fuel system, just do it right the first time and avoid any possible problems down the road. Get the SVT Focus pump off ebay, I've seen them as low as $80, usually $90 brand new. And for your setup, it seems everyone is using the Lightning 90mm MAF, which can be found for as low as $80, but usually $100 on ebay new as well. I even saw one seller when I was looking to buy this stuff a month or so ago that had the MAF and 42lbinjectors for $380 shipped.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

don't skimp out on the fuel system
Good advice. Very new to modding and really don't know much about how stuff works with cars, butI had a Procharger P1SC until very recently. Excellent quality...zero issues and made a wonderful jet-engine type noise.At 480 rwhp, it was starting to run lean and had to go with larger injectors (came with 39 pounders)and dual pumps...problem solved. Don't forget to buy the extended warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles) for an extra $49. It was also came with enough s/c oil to cover the extra warranty miles.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

if you run a blow off valve what happens going down the road at partial throttle at say 3000 rpms ?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

the lightning meter isnt always the way to go as with any maf meter it also has a sweep range and the lighting meter isnt a blow through it just has a broader range then stock, i have a lightning meter calibrated for 42 # injectors brand new, instead of messing with it i went straight for the one calibrated for my setup, as for fuel system and in-tank walbro pump off ebay works well your gonna want 255 LPH, im having no problems with my setup on 255lph intank pump

Quick Reply: NEW TO THE BOOST WORLD