Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

open down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default open down pipe

is it dangerous in any way to run open down pipe?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

where is the DP going to dump at?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 AM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

very far up. around the oil pan i would say which is about 10 inches if even after the wastgate. its going to be the on3performance kit if that helps out at all. im sure most people have seen the pics on here.

Last edited by nitrous_fed_03gt; 02-10-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

wont hurt anything but itll be loud as f*ck inside the car. i know from experience on this one. l my current exhaust dumps right next to the tranny and its awful to drive more then a couple miles so the 15 mile trip to the track is hell. i currently have all the tubing in my garage to finish it off.

if you can at least run the exhaust to the edge of the body so it dumps on the outside of the car, i think you will be much happier. but you wont hurt anything dumping under the car other then your ear drums.

isnt the on3 kit complete? why dump it if they give you the parts to do it right?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

yea the kit is complete. i was just trying to save a few bucks by not having to buy the y pipe they offer to complete the exhaust, and was wanting to have the extra hp i would gain by having open down pipe but it dont sound like its worth it. guess i could buy a manual or electronic boost controller to make up for the power loss of having a complete exhaust.....
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_fed_03gt
yea the kit is complete. i was just trying to save a few bucks by not having to buy the y pipe they offer to complete the exhaust, and was wanting to have the extra hp i would gain by having open down pipe but it dont sound like its worth it. guess i could buy a manual or electronic boost controller to make up for the power loss of having a complete exhaust.....

its really not worth it.

go with an ebc, they have a lot of nice features such as the ability to keep the wg completely shut till a set psi. if you didnt already know, the wg begins cracking open long before spring pressure is reached so being able to keep it shut will help you hit full boost faster
Old 02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
its really not worth it.

go with an ebc, they have a lot of nice features such as the ability to keep the wg completely shut till a set psi. if you didnt already know, the wg begins cracking open long before spring pressure is reached so being able to keep it shut will help you hit full boost faster
im sorry but im so retarded with turbo kits. im new to all this. all i know is nitrous so pardon me for sounding like a dumb s@#$.

-whats not worth it?
-whats an ebc? {electronic boost controller} and if so why not a manual?
-do you still use a spring in the wastegate if you have a boost controller cause from what i understand they are only rated at a certain psi before you have to upgrade to a different one
-so you do reccomend that i get the full exhaust they offer?

thanks lucky
Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nitrous_fed_03gt
im sorry but im so retarded with turbo kits. im new to all this. all i know is nitrous so pardon me for sounding like a dumb s@#$.

-whats not worth it?
-whats an ebc? {electronic boost controller} and if so why not a manual?
-do you still use a spring in the wastegate if you have a boost controller cause from what i understand they are only rated at a certain psi before you have to upgrade to a different one
-so you do reccomend that i get the full exhaust they offer?

thanks lucky
dumping the exhaust is not worth the little money you save due to the interior noise level

ebc=electronic boost controller. manuals suck because you have no way of jumping back and forth between boost levels easily. you have to guess how many turns of the *** will get you what psi. they also offer no ability to hold the wg shut for building boost faster like a ebc. some ebc even let you set the boost pressure to increase xx many seconds into the pass so you dont make full boost too soon and spin the tires. a mbc will only let you run about double the boost as the spring is set. so if you have a 5psi spring, with a mbc you are limited to 10psi before you start having boost creep. if you have a 10psi spring you can go up to 20psi off boost but never below 10psi (spring pressure). with my 6psi spring and ebc i can run anywhere between 6psi (street) and 20psi(or whatever, havent tuned the motor so thats just a guess of where ill be when my injectors max out) basically much better control of the turbo with an ebc. looking into the ams500

yes you still need a spring. with no boost controller, your spring is what sets boost pressure and each spring is rated to a different pressure.

yes buy the complete exhaust, you will thank me when it looks stock, is quiet on the inside yet makes tons of power
Old 02-11-2010, 06:58 AM
nitrous_fed_03gt
3rd Gear Member

so basically i could just use there any of the 3 springs they have but with an ebc, can pretty much run twice the boost that i would get from just the spring alone? there springs range from 7 psi to 14. does it matter which ebc i buy?