Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

superchargers..what're some good ones!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:10 AM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Default superchargers..what're some good ones!

I'm in the market for a supercharger, or at least, wanting to figure out which one I'll buy when I have the money together.

I'm just looking for 4-6 PSI to get my car to 300+ rwhp, since I don't plan on going forged internals.. I plan on working on suspension after the s/c.

anyway, I'm leaning towards the Saleen IV s/c with intercooler since I'd prefer a twin screw s/c (to be different, and because, from what i gather, they have boost more evenly than centrifugal).

No one really seems to HAVE these saleen one's though.. so is there like, something bad about them??
(the one I'm looking at is here)

thanks for any insight/advice!!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:05 AM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: superchargers..what're some good ones!

Mongoose kit... www.modularpowerhouse.com
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

saleen blowers are expensive thats why nobody buys them and thats exactly what saleen wants. you want a good s/c find the biggest vortech you can find. set it to 6 psi and youll make even boost as llong as you get an effricent s/c like a t trim, n trim, rase m trim, p trim
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

Reason I was looking at Saleen was because it's cheaper actually; cheaper than a KB with intercooler by about 1-2k, and, with intercooler, the same price as a centrifugal for the most part. That's why I can't seem to figure out why no one has them.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

The Saleen series 6 blower is the most efficient, best overall positive displacment blower around for the 3v 4.6.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

my 02 GT is only 2v though

the series 5 looks good, but it's 2k more than 4, and offers more boost.. which i won't use. so i figured 4 would be best bet?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

yeah 4 would be your best bet.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Valek
3rd Gear Member

One thing to keep in mind, the series IV will not fit with factory hood.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Blk_96_GT
2nd Gear Member

well do you want a twin screw or a cintrifugal(i can spell verry good)? i would go with Whipple or Kb if you want insane TQ, but for a Drag race you would probably be better with Procharger that ways you still have traction off the line and i think procharger put a 12Psi on a 2002 Gt and it ran high 11's, and a 96 with a 10psi ran high 12's
Old 08-27-2005, 08:21 PM
badsp0rk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Valek

One thing to keep in mind, the series IV will not fit with factory hood.

I figured as much, and have been researching some hoods; looking into this or this or this or this (all in carbon fiber, so that I don't have to paint it to match my black car, and so that i get some weight reduction). I *think* those would all provide enough clearance to fit the s/c, but I'd probably call that company up first to confirm before ordering any of them.

well do you want a twin screw or a cintrifugal(i can spell verry good)? i would go with Whipple or Kb if you want insane TQ, but for a Drag race you would probably be better with Procharger that ways you still have traction off the line and i think procharger put a 12Psi on a 2002 Gt and it ran high 11's, and a 96 with a 10psi ran high 12's
I think I want a twin screw, simply because it's "different"; most people get centrifugal, and the twin screw would be quite unique, but I'm not quite sure yet; I have been contemplating that mongoose kit someone else pasted up above, simply because it seems they do a decent tune with the chip they send you. Unfortunately, in Connecticut, there aren't very many good tuners I guess; someone I know with a 5.0 running 12 PSI or so, completely built everything and all kinds of suspension work done, still only runs high 12's due to his lack of a good tune. I also don't have a trailer or anything to bring my car to a tuner with after I install my s/c, which means if I don't get a decent tune with my system I'll have to drive the car a decent amount to go get it tuned. The closest dyno is like 30-40 miles from my house, through some pretty rough stop + go traffic. Of course, still, the mongoose tune still will be pretty **** poor as not all cars run the same, and I ought to bring it to a dyno even if I do get that mongoose kit, but at least i'd be better off with that than nothing/a "custom tune" from diablosport.

The amount of boost isn't that important to me, since I don't want to surpass 8 as that seems to be the limit on a stock engine, and I don't want to invest the money or time into forging my internals (6 or so PSI, which is what I'll likely run, will be more than enough once I'm done with tires and suspension work; the s/c will get me to 330-350 rwhp and with suspension work I should be able to add on a few more to that, maybe some weight reductions, and I'm in the 12's easily which should be good enough for me.. maybe even 11's if I do my suspension work well enough and drive well enough).

Quick Reply: superchargers..what're some good ones!