Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Bolt-On Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:07 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Bolt-On Supercharger?

i think for the money, the pro charger is a lot better deal than vortech. they're the same price for a v2 sq and an intercooled pro charger, but the vortech isn't aftercooled. that has to tell you something about the quality of the vortech though. still, if i were to buy one brand new, i probably would have gone the pro charger route.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:49 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

i think Vortech is better. my 90 GT had one on it. **** it was fast. my neighbor has a procharger on his 99 v6 vert. the thing blows seals like crazy. and it has the same pulley as when he got it.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

He probably didn't install it right if it was blowing seals. Mine's given no problems and my neighbors has done up to 18 lbs with no problems for a year.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:00 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

He probably didn't install it right if it was blowing seals. Mine's given no problems and my neighbors has done up to 18 lbs with no problems for a year.
he had Modular Powerhouse install it. they don't even sell Procharger, i asked why one time and one guy said the base blower is garbage and they don't like to uphold their warranty.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Oh, hockey sticks!!! Procharger has done super service and stood behind its products. I had one friend who probably screwed up the parts himself, but they shipped him new and took the old back, no questions asked. No offesne but if there are problems with either one, I'd suspect the shop that installed it: there are too many satisfied users of either for me to believe there is a flaw in either the Vortech or the Procharger.

With my car, I had a difficult installation because it was a very strange situation -- I had ordered the LS-6 kit, but the C5R is not really a street engine even though it is close to the same size, and we had to fabricate gobs of parts and ultimately we had to re-route a belt and re-size some pulleys and we were down to 1/32 inch clearance between belts and block. They were super supportive with advice, ideas, and a new pulley at the last minute, when vibration was wearing the belt against the heads on my engine. I am not saying they are perfect, or that Vortech is anything less, but I got everything I wanted from them: a reliable supercharger that doesn't leak, doesn't break, and doesn't let me down when I get on it. I expect I would have gotten the same thing from Vortech, but for the reason I mentioned earlier, I went with the Procharger..
Old 12-15-2005, 12:24 AM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

Oh, hockey sticks!!! Procharger has done super service and stood behind its products. I had one friend who probably screwed up the parts himself, but they shipped him new and took the old back, no questions asked. No offesne but if there are problems with either one, I'd suspect the shop that installed it: there are too many satisfied users of either for me to believe there is a flaw in either the Vortech or the Procharger.

With my car, I had a difficult installation because it was a very strange situation -- I had ordered the LS-6 kit, but the C5R is not really a street engine even though it is close to the same size, and we had to fabricate gobs of parts and ultimately we had to re-route a belt and re-size some pulleys and we were down to 1/32 inch clearance between belts and block. They were super supportive with advice, ideas, and a new pulley at the last minute, when vibration was wearing the belt against the heads on my engine. I am not saying they are perfect, or that Vortech is anything less, but I got everything I wanted from them: a reliable supercharger that doesn't leak, doesn't break, and doesn't let me down when I get on it. I expect I would have gotten the same thing from Vortech, but for the reason I mentioned earlier, I went with the Procharger..
that's what i've heard. my neighbor has not had any problems with Procharger except the seals. he is thinking about upgrading the blower on his lightning, but i know his wife won't let him
Old 12-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Well, always go with what you here from friends and see with your own eyes. I'd think about using another shop, though. The problem may be them, despite what they say. The shop I use (Diversified Performance in Apex, NC) has never had any problems with Vortech or Procharger units. (or Magnusen, for that matter).
Old 12-30-2005, 04:32 AM
nitola

I´ve decided to go with the ProCharger and the only reason is that one company imports them to Finland and they have the certificate of the emission specifications for me. So I don´t have to order anything from the US. The sc costs about 5.000$. Next thing I have to decide are all the other modifications that I´ll have to do. Bassini exhaust, aluminium heads, intake, camsafts, etcetc. Any help or suggestions from any of you what to have? I´m not going to make any race car...only a reliable street car which will go about low 13´s...Any good suggestions are more than welcome!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:31 AM
ironsoldier
I ♥ Acer

For maximum top end power - what you seem to want -- the Procharger kits are hard to beat. They and the Vortech are centrifugal SCs and that makes a bit more power up top. Of the two I prefer the Procharger, because the "SC" in a model name means self-piling -- with the Vortech kits you have to run oil lines to the SC from the oil pan - more work and more to break.

Anyway, the two Procharger kits I have working with were very well make and worked well.

A screw (modified Roots) type such as an Eaton M-90 or Whipple will make more low end torque and not quick as much HP, and may have clearance problems under the hood depending.

Either way, buy a kit with everything, and if you can afford it, buy a kit with intercoolers, and don't go with a non-intercooled model.
personally i like the Paxton kits. they are far better than the Prochargers.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

how did you come to this conclusion? not trying to be a smartass (maybe a lil). is it just because you own one? i own a vortech but i know procharger is a good brand and is the best bang for the buck super for my stang.

Quick Reply: Bolt-On Supercharger?