Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable lower control arm

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:31 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default Adjustable lower control arm

What exactly are you changing with the adjustment? Is it just for lowered cars? In that case I could get non adjustable ones if I'm not thinking of lowereing my car? I'm probably way offf on this, just wondering though.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:17 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Adjustable lower control arm

You are adjusting the pinion angle, which only needs adjustment when lowering the car. I just installed the adjustable ones (along with the LCA lowering brackets) because I might lower the car at some point.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:53 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There are certain other mods that make the adjustable LCAs (and LCA relocating brackets) useful.

For example, if you change your rear tire outer diameter or if you switch to straight (1 piece) driveshaft. However, the most common reason is if you lower the car.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:03 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

There are certain other mods that make the adjustable LCAs (and LCA relocating brackets) useful.

For example, if you change your rear tire outer diameter or if you switch to straight (1 piece) driveshaft. However, the most common reason is if you lower the car.
I am going to put put the roush springs on the rear. They only drop about an one and a half inches will the adj LCA's be necissary?
I know there are people in the forum that have done that mod but don't know if all they did was change out the springs.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:24 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20
I am going to put put the roush springs on the rear. They only drop about an one and a half inches will the adj LCA's be necissary?
I know there are people in the forum that have done that mod but don't know if all they did was change out the springs.
It depends on what you mean by necissary. Will the car be undriveable if you don't have the adjustable LCAs? No.

However, if you lower without the adjustable LCAs then you can expect more drivetrain noise and wear becasue the pinion angle will be wrong. It will also put a higher load on your pinion yoke and bearings, which could cause problems of various kinds if you are really hammering on the gas (drag racing, for example).

The way to do things right is to get the adjustable LCAs if you lower the car.

By the way, you'll like the Roush springs. I'm running the Roush rears and the stock fronts with the Spohn adjustable LCAs. Works great....
Old 07-30-2006, 02:14 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

You know.. Al you have helped me out alot and given me alot of advice on various stuff yet I have never seen your car! [8D]
Old 08-07-2006, 07:23 AM
dustin_tt

Is adjusting the upper/lower ca something I can do on my own; I am plenty confident in my ability; but how do you know what adjustments to make for diffrent ride hieghts. Do I need to measure the angle before install (how?) and make adjustments after install to bring the proper angle back. Any info from knowledge or experience is greatly appreciated. I want to lower my wife's 07', but I want to do it properly with out causing future damage.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You can do this yourself.

Adjusting the LCAs are very easy. The UCA is a bit difficult to reach becasue it's up under the car so far, but adjustment is really no different.

You loosen the locknut(s) then turn the hex portion of the LCA with a wrench. Turning it one way makes it longer, turning it the other makes it shorter--this length change alters the angle. Once you get it right, you then tighten the locknuts to secure it in the proper position.

The pinion angle is measured with a protractor. I suggest buying a cheap magnetic one from Sears. They are only $10.00, though you can rig something up with a kid's school protractor, some thin string, and a fishing weight.

The BMR parts come with adjustment directions. There are also some past threads here, simply have a search...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 AM
dustin_tt

Wow, thanx! I believe when I get paid I will purchase adjustable UC/LC arm(s) and PHB/w brace and install it all at once with the lowering springs. Protractor... that's what I needed to hear, I laid under my car for a while today and I think I have a good understanding of whats going on.
BMR's prices are right on and the red powder coat will look great; even if you have to slide under for a view

I have been thinking about shocks/struts and camber adjustment. I plan on lowering 1.25"F/1.75"R. The question is should I also wait to lower the car until I can afford the shocks/struts, such as Ford's. Is there any potential problems with lowering the car with out replacing the shocks/struts? Also...is a neg camber something I should anticipate and plan for by going ahead and purchasing camber bolts, such as BMR's 2 degree bolts?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Hey dustin, shocks and struts will help eliminate a bouncy ride after lowering the car. You could definitely lower without the shocks and struts and then if its too bouncy, squeaky, and uncomfortable, then you can always add the shocks and struts. The camber plates arent necessary but, a neg camber will wear the tires unevenly in the long term, although the alignment may possibly be able to correct without anything. You could also get the camber bolts from eibach for about 30bux and they definitely help.

Quick Reply: Adjustable lower control arm