Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Upper control arms

Well, this is something I want and I've decided on BMR's along with their mounting bracket. All the time i've spent under the car I've never really looked for it's location, and today I found out it's above the rear end... and there is a bolt that goes from your interior down into the bracket... How unfortunate! I assume this is in the "hump" of the rear seats, so how easy is it to safely remove/reinstall the interior without making it noticiable that you did anything to it at all. I'd hate to take something off, and then have it shake around or slide around once I reinstalled it. I'm probably going to go with an Adjustable panhard bar (Can't decide on which, Steeda or BMR. I think Steeda has Poly bushings while BMR's got red endlinks... and their other one has the adjustment in the middle of the bar.) So if anyone can give me some insight on which to choose there. As well as with BMR's panhard support brace.

Thanks, all opinions are appreciated as always.
Menace.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Upper control arms

All you have to do is pop out the rear seat cushion. It takes about 10 seconds and requires no tools. There's two little latches under the seats.

Either of the panhards would be fine. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:09 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

LOL, yeah, taking out the back seat will be the easiest part. It's not a hard mod, but will take a little work. I didn't drop the gas tank to replace the UCA, plenty of room, but to do the mount, you may have to lower it a bit. Someone that's done it could chime in on that. BMRs LCAs are also poly bushings and the panhard bar you get should be based on whether you are lowering the car or not. If you're going to lower it more than 1.5", then get the adjustable one as the rear end will most likely shift to the drivers side. I lowered 1 to 1.5" and mine shifter about 1/2" to the drivers side. And since you're going to be under there anyway, may as well get the panhard brace as it is not expensive.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I'm not quite sure if I want to lower the car yet, I don't think I do but eventually might. If I do lower it, it'll only be by a slight degree.

To remove the cushion between the seats, the clips are underneath the car or inside? (For the UCA's.)

As for the Panhard bar, BMR does have an adjustable with poly bushings, but the adjustment isn't at each end but it's inbetween and offset to one side I'm not sure how "structually sound" that is. BMR's other panhard bar has adjustments at each end, but it's got rod endlinks... So I don't know.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The rear seat cushion clips are inside the car. They are just underneath the frontmost edge of the bottom seat cushion, right at the edge between the carpet and the cushion. There is one on each side.

The adjustmet setup on either of the BMR bars is fine. Because the bar has pivoting ends, it can only ever be loaded in a straight line (tension or compression). It doesn't matter where the adjuster is. Structually either design is fine.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: scramblr

Someone that's done it could chime in on that.

You do not need to mess with the gas tank. The bracket comes right out. The hardest part is going to be torquing the two bolts that are accessed from under the car (if you are on your back in the driveway like I was) I had to put a pipe over the torque wrench and have my kid pull it from outside the car until it clicked. I just didn't have enough room to get a strong pull while trying to hold a 12" extension up to the bolts.