Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

lowered with clunking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
redfirevert06
1st Gear Member

Default lowered with clunking sound

I lowered my convertible a few months ago. I Used Steeda Ultralite springs & Tokico D-specs and followed the directions correctly and had the front re-aligned.
I am very happy with the look and ride, however lately I noticed a slight "clunk" sound whenever I go over even the slightest bump (best example I can give is the sound the spare tire would make if it wasn't fastened down tight in the trunk well). It also makes the sound whenever I drive down the road and turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly, therefore I think it is coming from the front of the car.
I have double checked all of the parts that have been chenged out and they all seem to be fine and tight. Any suggestions? Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: lowered with clunking sound

Check nothing is loose in the trunk...... Check heat shield clearances..... Check all clamps......
Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Your rear end will "clunk" if you do not reset your pinion angle after lowering the car. That's why I always suggest getting adjustable LCAs when you lower.

However, usually that clunk is noticed when shifting, or when switching from coasting to accelerating (or vice-versa).

If you are having clunks when you are going over bumps, then I would look under the car and see if the springs are rubbing anywhere or if there are any loose parts banging around.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

did u trim ur bumpstops?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
redfirevert06
1st Gear Member

The pinion angle makes sense.
I guess that is going to be my next mod.
I didn't think I would have to change the LCA's since I only lowered it a little over an inch, but if that is what it will take, then I will change them.
Now I just need to find that link that gave directions on finding and setting the pinion angle and the install of LCA's.
Thanks for your input guys!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

+1 I would trim the rear bumpstops. I don't even know where the front bumpstops are at, but i've never noticed any noise from the front.

ORIGINAL: |UCF|chron

did u trim ur bumpstops?
Old 11-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

I have the same set-up, but with BMR springs...I also have a slight clunk when I go over the slightest bump. Its def. from the front. Did you figure out what was causing it?
ORIGINAL: redfirevert06

I lowered my convertible a few months ago. I Used Steeda Ultralite springs & Tokico D-specs and followed the directions correctly and had the front re-aligned.
I am very happy with the look and ride, however lately I noticed a slight "clunk" sound whenever I go over even the slightest bump (best example I can give is the sound the spare tire would make if it wasn't fastened down tight in the trunk well). It also makes the sound whenever I drive down the road and turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly, therefore I think it is coming from the front of the car.
I have double checked all of the parts that have been chenged out and they all seem to be fine and tight. Any suggestions? Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM
jmart69x
1st Gear Member

I too have a 2006 GT convertible recently upgraded with the following mods: Eibach Pro-kit Plus suspension, BMR panhard bar, upper bushings, camber bolts, Metco billet LCA. I noticed that a clunking sound will come from the right rear area (almost sounds like in the trunk) whenever I turn right into my development (slight incline) or turn in/out of my driveway (slight incline). The only way for me to avoid the sound is to slow down to an unnatural speed, almost easing into/out of the turn on the incline. I brought this situation to my mechanic's attention, and he said that it is probably due to the panhard bar which is normal to make this type of sound in corners but would check it to confirm. I don't think so.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 PM
hairydawg

I had this same problem after I installed new Tokico D's, sway bar, panhard bar w/brace and adjustable lca's. It sounded like the right rear on my car was coming apart at the seams over every bump and on take-offs and stops. I checked everything for any loose bolts (not any) and then I changed the pinion angle to 1.5 degrees from the BMR suggested 2-3 degrees. 90% of the problem was fixed immediately after doing this - thanks to reading CrazyAl's posts. The last 10% I will attribute to a suspension that is much stiffer than stock and polyurethane bushings.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

If the noise seems to be coming from the front recheck the Sway Bar Ends links these seem to be the most common issue when this problem arises. Seems most do not get them tight enough after the re installation.

Richard

Quick Reply: lowered with clunking sound