Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2007 Pony Package??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:39 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Pony Package??

Hey all!
Happy Thanks Giving!

I purchased an '07 V6 Pony Package and it came with the upgraded suspension system including front and rear anti-sway bars. Has the 6 spoke painted cragar mags with new spinners I just installed as well. Really reminds me of my 67 stang. Love it!
It also has the 500W Shaker audio system, ABS, TCS, 5 speed automatic and the usual standard features found on other models.
Has the pony emblems, pony wheel spinners, cool mustang logo floor mats.

The second week I had it, I pulled the interior out and installed Dynamat throughout the entire floor and side walls in the back where the rear emergency seats are. I did this to suppress the rushing noise of the road going under you while you drive on the highways etc. Really quieted it down and I'm happy with that. Helped the audio system sound better too ;-).
The car is Vista Blue with the dark charcoal gray interior. I wanted black leather but the charcoal is dark enough to satisfy me.

It has the MUSTANG pin striping along the bottom of each door as well. I could live without that and am thinking about taking my trusty heat gun and peeling it off. I like the blue paint a lot better than the pin striping. I would have opted for a nice dark 'maybe charcoal' MUSTANG logo along the bottom or maybe like the CS's have it along the upper middle part of the doors and clear coated into the paint. Now that would look pretty good.

I'm going to add a hood scoop, rear and rear side window louvers as well. Finding them pre-painted has been a pain and they are about 150 bucks more painted than non-painted but oh well, that's what it costs when you want it now ;-). The rear window louver though will probably be black,,,I don't know, maybe Vista Blue will look good too. We'll see.

One thing I don't like about it, and I've already had the dealer attempt to fix the problem by replacing both front strut assemblies including the strut bearings at 1200 miles ;-), (great dealer! They gave it a shot and tried to fix it at least and I didn't even buy the car from them.) Covered it under warranty of course.

The problem is an anoying thunking noise coming from the front end suspension when going over small humps or bumps in the road at low speeds. Say 1 to 45 MPH. It's a subtle dull metalic 'thunk' that comes through loud enough to disturb my idea of a quiet ride and anyone who can discern between regular road noise and suspension noise can tell something strange is going on.

I and my mechanic both drove two other pony's and they make the same sound. It seems to me that Ford would or should have set it up so the darn front suspension isn't so bloody loud in the first place as you can hear everything the road has to offer!

It seems that the thunking noise is common even though when you drive a new near 0 miles stang you can hardly hear it, in fact it's not audible at all from what I recall. After a few hundred miles though, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk,,,every bloody bump or ripple in the road. The thunk isn't real loud but it's noticeable and if you pay attention to it too much it will agrivate the crap out of you.
The GT's do it too but it's a bit less noticeable.

Has anyone noticed this thunking sound in their '06 / '07 stangs?
I'm really curious as to if you do/did and what you did about it.

Just so you know, the front end has been thoroughly inspected/re-torqued and all that jazz. Like I said in the beginning, both left and right front struts have been replaced including the bearings.

Now one thing. The bearings do have just a tiny bit of vertical play in them. Anywhere from 1mm to say 3mm. This is stock. They say 'and it makes sense' that the spring load up against the bearing will keep that little bit of play from being a problem. I tend to disagree in that when the vehicles weight is on them plus the pre-compressed weight which has to be at least a couple hundred pounds or pressure pushing against the bearing keeping the bottom rotator pressed up against the bearings,,,should keep it from rattling or thunking. I am still willing to try some aftermarket strut bearings that have no play and see if the thunking noise abates 'goes away for you lamen ;-)'.

The only other thing it could be is something in the body cavities is lose and or the cavities tend to amplify this particular frequency of sound. When you sit in the passenger side when someone else is driving (in this case it was my mechanic during our test drives) the sound is less obvious. Not much but it is less. Weird!

Anyway, I decided to live with it. I like the car so much! It rides great, gets it for a V6 (a lot like the old 289 2bbl stang I had) and it sounds like a small block V8 too. That is until one throws in a cat back exhaust system then it will sound like any other V6 with duals.
If I do add a cat back dual exhaust, it will be a cat back X pipe exhaust with tuned and quiet (sleeper) mufflers on the end. I don't need loud, just good exhaust flow when I have my foot in it. Yes I'll probably reprogram the MCU too and add a cold air intake. Why not. Better power, better gas mileage and a stang should be all it can be anyway.

Still the V6's power is enough for me. I could use another 90 HP as the 4.6 V8 produces but hey, it's only 90 more HP and I don't need it anyway. Don't need the extra weight or the lower gas mileage. Geesh, I have my foot in my 6 banger enough as it is! As anyone should know, the V6 is capable of up to 350HP with a blower on it. More if you dual turbo it but then you have to rebuild the engine to handle it not to mention the transmission. Stock, with what one has on hand, one can increase it's power to around 250 RWHP or more.
That's plenty for a light car as it is.

I didnt' buy it to race tini-boppers or to be able to say "who has the baddest stang in Virginia?". Those testosterone laden high school days are long gone. I like it because it's stylish, takes me back to the good ol' days and IMHO, it's a REAL MUSTANG! The retro's closed me. I never liked the almost rice burner FOX etc. body's. To me they are just cars with Mustang tatoo'd on them! I own a REAL Mustang. The REAL MUSTANGS ARE BACK!

So has anyone had the same thunking noise coming from their front end on the late model stangs? Sure would like to know what the fix is before I take the time and money to figure it out on my own.

Thanks!
Wolfey
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Thanx Wolfey! Not that I don't believe you, but can other 2007 v6 pony packager owners also confirm the sway bars??

TIA
Old 11-22-2006, 11:44 PM
boomerman
1st Gear Member

Nice post Wolfey!!
I to have noticed the thunking you are talking about.
I have checked my front end as well and find nothing wrong.
Very strange, maybe others will speak up as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 AM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

As I stated in my earlier post, my car has front and rear sway bars. I just changed oil today and I can assure you it has one in the front and back.

Goto this website and build a new '07 Mustang and add the options you want on the car. It will describe what is included with the Pony Package if you click on Pony Package Details. Choose the V6 Premium and then goto the Options section and then Pony Package. You will find what I described in the earlier post.

http://www54.forddirect.fordvehicles...=HomePageFlash

The package is cosmetic only-but you can add the anti-lock brakes and traction control as an option. I am suspecting Ford did not sell many of the '06's with the package and reduced the price to $750.00 from the $1500.00 or $1600.00 to help sell it.

I went on a road trip from Dallas to San Antonio through Shiner and back to Dallas. We went about 800 miles and the car performed very well. It is just as smooth at 90 as it is at 20-I am very impressed. I have not experienced any of the front end noises described in earlier post.

Cookiemonster-the Magnaflow was just fine. It had a noticable rumble and when I leaned on the throttle it got loader and sounded good. My wife is not a car person, so I was waiting for her to complain about any "annoying sounds." Well, she didn't-she even slept through most of it... even at 90mph!!!! It was a very nice trip.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Sorry,

I got all caught up in the thanksgiving rush.

YES I DO HAVE A REAR SWAY BAR In fact it's obvious when I looked under my car. I mean, REALLY obvious. I'm not a car person so I had to Wiki a quick description of one so I knew what to look for. A quick run to the parking lot and BAM, there it was!

I have one concern tho, the sway bar is hanging down, alot moreso than I though it would. it doesnt look like it was damaged and I have not highcentered on anything so I doubt it was pulled down but I am now very concerned about my car being towed I'll see if I can find a digital camera around here somewhere and get a pic out up.

I have a 2007 V6 W/pony package. When I was looking around for my car I got alot of different opinions on wether or not the Pony Package had the sway bar or not.

In the end you should be able to look at the underside of your pony and you will either have a 3/4 inch curved bar attached to the lower part of your rear end or you wont.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:52 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

And heres the Pic. Sorry for the bad quality, cameraphone

Old 11-30-2006, 06:24 PM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BHRS

I went on a road trip from Dallas to San Antonio through Shiner and back to Dallas.
Shiner is a good detour to take. Free beer with the brewery tour.

I have one concern tho, the sway bar is hanging down,
As long as it is higher than your axle, which it appears to be but not by much, then you are should not worry about hitting it on anything. You will hit something else before you hit the sway bar. Your exhaust midpipes are lower than your sway, well atleast they are on my car.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I'm more concerned with an idiot tow truck >< guess i'll just stick to legally parking my car [8D]
Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

I have a sway bar... 06 Pony package. Wolfey if it is the rocker panel stripes you are refering to that you want to remove... dont bother with the heat gun... they peel off very easy... I did mine in about four minutes... all it takes is non-bitten finger nails to start it, a bottle of cap'n, some coke, and a radio... guaranteed to be a good time!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

everybody will have sway bars, even the very very very very basic 6ers. the 06 pony package gave you the GT rear sawy bar, while the 07 pony package does not. however, you will still have sway bars in your car

that is for sure, ask your for dealer and they will confirm it

Quick Reply: 2007 Pony Package??