Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Handling Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
fredberry

Default GT Handling Question

My son recently totalled his 2000 V6 Mustang (not his fault). He is thinking about replacing it with a 2007 GT and wants to know if the new Mustang rearends are as squirrely in the rain as the previous body style. He lost control of the rear on more than one occasion even when going only 15 mph. It worried us all to such an extent that he wouldn't drive the vehicle in the rain even w/Kumho tires (the Goodyears were notorious for porr traction). Has Ford improved or fixed this problem? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Handling Question

It has been a while since I've driven a 2000 'stang, but I don't recall them having problems with being "squirrely in the rain"...especially not a V6. Are you sure it wasn't just the tires that were on it, or perhaps your son might have been driving too agressively in the rain? You can make the rear break loose at 5 MPH if you give it too much gas.

Anyway, as for the late models: These all have an electronic traction control and 4-wheel ABS. This annoys some people who like to hot-rod their cars, but it does work very well at preventing skids and loss of control. Also, the GT models have limited-slip rear differentials, which will also help reduce the tendency of skidding in some situations.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

It has been a while since I've driven a 2000 'stang, but I don't recall them having problems with being "squirrely in the rain"...especially not a V6. Are you sure it wasn't just the tires that were on it, or perhaps your son might have been driving too agressively in the rain? You can make the rear break loose at 5 MPH if you give it too much gas.

Anyway, as for the late models: These all have an electronic traction control and 4-wheel ABS. This annoys some people who like to hot-rod their cars, but it does work very well at preventing skids and loss of control. Also, the GT models have limited-slip rear differentials, which will also help reduce the tendency of skidding in some situations.
Quite the opposite, with limited slip it is EASIER to lose control, because BOTH rear tires will lose traction rather than just one. On the plus side its easier to get unstuck (is that even a word?), with limited slip.

As for your son and his car, couple of things to keep in mind. If his car super wide tires on the rear end thatll make his car prone to hydroplaning, because the tires have to disperse more water than they would with stock or narrow tires. Also, if you live in an area that gets lots of rainfall it would be a good idea to buy the best rain tires you can find.
-P.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero
Quite the opposite, with limited slip it is EASIER to lose control, because BOTH rear tires will lose traction rather than just one. On the plus side its easier to get unstuck (is that even a word?), with limited slip.
Oh, I completely understand that. However, note that I said in SOME circumstances. If you are turning a slowcorner with an open diff car and you've got one wheel spinning, you have very little lateral stability becasue you have only one rear tire with traction. On the other hand, if you were to make the same turn with the same amount of throttle in a posi-equipped car, most likely you'd be maintaining traction on both wheels, giving you twice the lateral stability. On the other hand, if you screw up and really gun it, then you're spinning both tires,and of course it will be even worse.

I probably should have said sometimes it's better but made the caveat that other times it may be worse.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fredberry

My son recently totalled his 2000 V6 Mustang (not his fault). He is thinking about replacing it with a 2007 GT and wants to know if the new Mustang rearends are as squirrely in the rain as the previous body style. He lost control of the rear on more than one occasion even when going only 15 mph. It worried us all to such an extent that he wouldn't drive the vehicle in the rain even w/Kumho tires (the Goodyears were notorious for porr traction). Has Ford improved or fixed this problem? Thanks.
All the mustangs I've owned, I've never considered them squirrely in the rain. There is no problem for Ford to improve or fix as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

I think its a problem with your son's right foot[:-]