Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ordered the KW Variant III's today

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ordered the KW Variant III's today

I know. Like I said - i'm a lazy sob. Once Koni gets off their a**es and puts out their kit i'm gonna do it too. My problem is I come from a family of engineers. EVERYTHING has to be well thought, overthought, and worst case scenario thought.

I'm going over to the shop here in a bit. Call Wild Pony Motorsports at (661)424-0878. As far as I know they're one of the only K-Mac dealers around in the U.S.

Please tell Vicky that Matt sent you - she needs to know her sponsorship is appreciated
Old 01-20-2007, 02:05 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

Wow.. Look I order the VIII's and now everyone wants to copy me... [8D]
Yeah, that's it...'cause you're the first one to use them.
What track are you going to be on??
What do you mean by "the spring will be the chassis stiffening"? I don't understand that one.Did you order a specific spring rate for your car for the track you're going to be on? Did you get a price on extra springs?

I actually like being able to keep speed up in the corners so that I canreally strech her legs on the long straights..
For me I love driving my car, but I assure you its even more fun when you can go back to the pits and make adjustments and then head back out andtry toget better handling/faster times.
Isn't this the goal of any racer?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

This spring as in after the winter.. I'm putting in boxed subframes and going to have my rear seams welded as well as the LCA mounts.
Have not made my mind up about the Strut Tower Brace yet. The rear I have been told is pointless, but I need to see in person the diffrent options for the front.

I was joking on the KW's and everyone wanting to follow me.. .. But I do not know of anyone on the boards I go to that has them.. I was hoping to find someone but other then a Mag article I have not found anyone.

I have not priced out the springs as, once they show up I want to see how the stock ones it comes with does. Plus since I will be going with a new engine/power adder combo within the next year I will change at that time if need be. I think the ones it comes with should be well suited for my car as it is.

I'm going to staylocal for now track wise.. Homestead in Miami I have been told has a nice road course. There is Sebring and Moroso as well.. So I should have plenty of places to have fun in the sun..
Old 01-20-2007, 03:37 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I know. Like I said - i'm a lazy sob. Once Koni gets off their a**es and puts out their kit i'm gonna do it too. My problem is I come from a family of engineers. EVERYTHING has to be well thought, overthought, and worst case scenario thought.

I'm going over to the shop here in a bit. Call Wild Pony Motorsports at (661)424-0878. As far as I know they're one of the only K-Mac dealers around in the U.S.

Please tell Vicky that Matt sent you - she needs to know her sponsorship is appreciated
I told her that I found them thru Google..[8D] Actually I did try calling but they are closed on Saturday.. [>:]
So I used the contact for on their website tosee if I can get some info on them. I do know people in
Australia who come to the U.S. all the time for work, wonder if they can get them cheaper over there..
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Wow.. Look I order the VIII's and now everyone wants to copy me... [8D]

Hi vsop,

Nah, there is a guy inVegas whoclaims tohave hadthem installed forsix months alreadybut he bought them more for looks andbragging rights than performance usage. I don't think he really knows how to deal with the proper setupof a performance suspension system letalone a coilover front end. I hope you get them installed soon and give us some decent feedback on performance and range of adjustability of the valvingin the dampers. the other guy just sort of stopped posting about his V3 setup.

Cheers

Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

The told me I should see them by on monday.. So I'm going to call my shop tomorrow and see if I can setup the suspension install for Wen or Thur at the latest.

The 2nd is the private Drag Strip rental and I'm hoping the new lighter suspension and DR's will get me the times I'm looking for
Old 01-24-2007, 12:20 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

What was (is) your final decision on the camber/caster plate??

The told me I should see them by on monday.. So I'm going to call my shop tomorrow and see if I can setup the suspension install for Wen or Thur at the latest.

The 2nd is the private Drag Strip rental and I'm hoping the new lighter suspension and DR's will get me the times I'm looking for
Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Well I have not heard back from Wild PoneyMotorsports.. and can't find any other dealers.
So for now I am going to use the uper mounts that came with the KW's and have my alignment set with out the CC plates.
The KWs have an elongated hole for adjusting on the strut so I don't need the billet plates or bolts they sell. But I will want a full CC plate shortly as I want to be able to start road racing her at sebring and others by end of march
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Just heard back from WPM about teh CC plates. They are going to see if they can get me some more info on the updated ones that K-mac are supposed to be releasing. They are said to have more adjustment and larger bearing. So I will probably wait for that version. since I plan to use them on the track. Once I get the directions from them thru email I can see if they will work with the KW's. I might send the directions to my suspension guy and KW if I can't figure out how to make them work together.

My KW's should be here friday based on the UPS tracking number.. WOOT WOOT!!!!

I also have gotten my suspension install price down to $500 and only $50 to weld in my DS loop and install the DS..
I was quoted $100 to install my LineLock kit, but not sure I want to spend that money on the install. Its not a hard install just don't know if I want to be bleeding my cars breaks while its parked on the street..
Old 01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Just heard back from WPM about teh CC plates. They are going to see if they can get me some more info on the updated ones that K-mac are supposed to be releasing. They are said to have more adjustment and larger bearing. So I will probably wait for that version. since I plan to use them on the track. Once I get the directions from them thru email I can see if they will work with the KW's. I might send the directions to my suspension guy and KW if I can't figure out how to make them work together.

My KW's should be here friday based on the UPS tracking number.. WOOT WOOT!!!!

I also have gotten my suspension install price down to $500 and only $50 to weld in my DS loop and install the DS..
I was quoted $100 to install my LineLock kit, but not sure I want to spend that money on the install. Its not a hard install just don't know if I want to be bleeding my cars breaks while its parked on the street..

Hi vsop,

I installed a pair of Steeda strut bearings with camber adjusters in a couple of cars including my own S197GT. I thinkthe Steeda design will not work on your KW strut tops because the Steeda design replaces thestockstrut bearing completelyand expects you to be usinga stock style spring. Most of the 3rd party strut bearing/camber kits will likely be designed around this same stock stylestrut bearing/springperch design and will not work with a coilover strut's topspherical bearing stylemounting plate. But I would bet that you could havea spacer designed and milledthat would take thecoilover shaft or upper spring perch load and get it to work with most of them like the Steeda designif theydo not requirethat you modify the chassis strut towers. For the most part though you must use the coilover strut's supplied spherical bearing and upper mounts as is or you will have issues with a loss of caster and increased ride height.

What is the shop going to install for $500? Dang, the hourly rate for shop labor where you live must behigh or the guy has nver done this job on an S197 chassis before. Even at the local Porsche dealerthey only charge $100 an hour. Iinstalled a fairlycomplete suspension onan S197GT withstruts, springs, camber bolts,UCA, LCA's, front and rear anti-roll bars in less than6 hours on my garage floor (my garage has shopair). In a garage or shop with air and aliftI can probably do it in less than5 hours. The installation time just seems high to me.

HTH

Quick Reply: Ordered the KW Variant III's today