Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:04 AM
htstang

Default Brake upgrade

Everyone has been wonderful helping me get more speed. Hope now I can get some information on stopping my 06 GT. I have the stock 18inch weels that came on the car. I was thinking about the Bear brake upgrade, however I have heard that I might have to put new rims on for clearence for the Bear kit with the calapers. What would be the best way to go? with the whole kit or maby just new disks?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brake upgrade

You need to decide how much added braking performance you want.

If you want a minor upgrade, then I suggest a basic kit consisting of new brake pads and stainless steel flex lines. This kit isn't super glamourous, but it WILL give you better braking and it will work with any wheels you might want. I know that Stoptech makes one such kit. I belive that other companies do too. This should cost under $400.

If you want a more serious upgrade, then you need to be prepared to pay to play. A significant upgrade is going to involve larger rotors, calipers, etc...hence the term "big brake kit". Most big brake kits are going to require AT LEAST 18" wheels....and not just any 18" wheel, it has to have spoke clearance for the caliper, not just a larger diameter. All the big brake kit makers will publish templates that you can print out on your PC's printer and then check to see if your wheel has the proper clearance. If you want to go the budget route, consider the Baer kit. If you want the premium choice, look at the kits from Roush, Steeda, or Stoptech (These are all the same...they are made by Stoptech for the other companies)...but these will set you back close to $2300.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

I run the AP Racing 6 piston calipers up front with the 15 inch 2pc rotors. Will cost you around $2800 and a set of minimum 18 inch wheels. I went for 20's but like it was said above you are supplied with a template to find the right offset wheel. I found3 wheels that would work around these things but settled on the Steeda Ultra Lights. In the rear I went with Baers 14 inch 2pc rotor upgrade, just under $500 for this setup. I love the braking power now!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:50 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

keep in mind that you wont find pads for these kits at Kragen on a Sunday morning, and arent the type to drop off there for a quick turn either. I more or less have the setup Al is talking about. It is a night/day improvement from stock. Don't bother with slotted rotors - they are hype. I only got mine because my factory rotors were warped beyond repair and I got them for cost thru my sponsor. Also stay away from cross-drilled stock replacements - they might look cool but they suck.

you didn't mention how much power you are pushing or what type of driving your'e doing, but unless your road racing and really putting the spurs to it a big brake kit isn't needed. I would also add to get quality hi-temp fluid. Motul 600 is pretty much the standard. I like the Hawk pads, but unless you track your car a LOT don't go past the HPS. I have the HP+ and they are SQUEAKY. Ducting is a easy upgrade as well as cheap, but best removed or blocked off for street driving.

Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:23 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: offrdmania

I run the AP Racing 6 piston calipers up front with the 15 inch 2pc rotors. Will cost you around $2800 and a set of minimum 18 inch wheels. I went for 20's but like it was said above you are supplied with a template to find the right offset wheel. I found 3 wheels that would work around these things but settled on the Steeda Ultra Lights. In the rear I went with Baers 14 inch 2pc rotor upgrade, just under $500 for this setup. I love the braking power now!
I love the AP Racing systems, I have run them on several cars in the past. I have the 6piston front set and a 4 piston rear set, now I just need time to install them ... and of course I have to go get the new studs on my car since Foose is an IDIOT...
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Yeah stopping is pretty important so glad you finally got around to it

CrazyAl and RodeoFlyer hit on the main points.

Just a few opinions to give you another perspective.

Don't see you mention what power you are putting to the wheels, but as mentioned unless you are going to do serious road racing and/or pushing your car REALLY hard between lights, the stock system with better pads (and better fluid) can do you nicely and you can save the $$ for other mods.

Everyone has their favorite (like everything else) but I've pretty much settled on EBC pads nowafter a little more than a year of testing various pads - they seem to get backordered quite often but I've managed to get them when I need them...I've triedmany of the pads that are out there for our car(PF,Hawk, EBC) and the EBC line have been the most consistent for me. Sticking with the Yellows for the track and Green/Red on the street.

I am leaning towards one of the AP systems for the front myself based on feedback from some folks at various performance shops and at the track...that or Brembo.

One thing that a few people have found out the hard way is that if you plan to do rear upgrade as well you may well need to proportion the braking system to avoid eating up rear pads.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM
smoke14me
2nd Gear Member

Well will the AP front brakes or the Baer plus 2 fit Steeda Ultralite wheels. I am buying the brakes this week along with wheels. I wanted to ensure that I dont have problems with my combo. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

for about 1000 bucks you can get the Brembo kit that comes factory on the GT500 and be done with it.........
Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The GT500 kit is good, but it is my understanding that it requires the use of wheel spacers. Some people are OK with that, and some people are not. Butit is something to be aware of. Otherwise, the GT500 kit is very good bang for the buck.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 PM
prblackstang

Hi guys, a newbie here.
With only 1,500 miles on the car I experience brake fade. So I finish installing a set of Baer GT-Plus kit (14” front and rear) and I'm very please with it. My car came with fanblades that needed to be change due to the fact that the front caliper wouldn't fit with this wheels.
I got some Eagles wheels 18X9 with Falken 452 255/45/18 to go with the new brakes. I'm very please with this setup. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade