Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adj. LCA + Reloc. Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default Adj. LCA + Reloc. Bracket

So I have a question:

There has been a lot of good talk lately about suspensions. I have learned more that I ever thought I would know.

So my question is this...If I put on some BMR Adj. LCAs and add the reloction bracket and set the LCA in the middle hole of the reloc bracket and I am still stock height, will I need to adjust the LCAs to something other than stock length to set the pinion angle correctly, or will it stay fine if I use the middle hole?

Does that make sense? So before install I would set the LCAs to the length of the stock LCAs and then install them with the bracket to the middle hole...Does that affect pinion angle????
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Adj. LCA + Reloc. Bracket

The BMR lca relocation brackets have the holes located in a circular arc. So changing whicheverbolt hole youusehas no effect on the LCA length or pinion angle. I do not know if this is true for other brands.

But, I am a bit confused. Why would you want to set your adjustable LCAs to stock length? If you are running stock length, then just get solid LCAs. The whole point of adjustable LCAs is that you can set them to a non-stock length for pinion angle adjustment.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

I am still stock height, but I wont be forever...and I still have a two-piece driveshaft, but I wont forever...

I want the ability to adjust the length and thus pinion angle when I get to the other mods...Which could be anywhere from a couple of months to a year or more....So while I don't need adjustables yet, I will when I get other mods....

Your the one that recommended that if you are planning on lowering and/or going to a one-piece driveshaft to spend the little bit extra now for the adjustables....So I am following your advice
Old 02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Oh, don't get me wrong--planning for the future is great.

I just wasn't sure what you were thinking/planning when you made your original post. Good luck with your future mods. [sm=gears.gif]
Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

So, my parts(BMR adj. LCA and reloc bracket) are waiting for me to go pick them up on Friday!!!! YAY ME!!!

I was wondering if anyone knew if they came with new bolts, or if I need to give Ford a call and get some ordered. The service manual says to discard all of them so I'm taking it that is what I have to do. Also, as far as other supplies...I need to pick up some silicon grease? Do I need to apply this with a grease gun and if so, does it use the standard fitting that comes with the gun, or do I need to get a special fitting?

Any other additional shop supplies I need for this?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 11:50 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

No help????
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You don't need new bolts. The LCAs should come with little packets of grease that you can use for your initial install. For maintenance you can either unbolt them and use grease from packets or a "tub", or you can get a grease gun cartridge. I suggest the grease gun as it is the far simpler method. Get yourself a dedicated grease gun for poly bushings & a tube of silicone grease. Neither is expensive.

There are no special tools, except for a torque wrench. Make sure you tighten the bolts back to 129 ft-lb.

I also suggest getting some loctite (either the blue or the green) for the locknuts on the LCA adjusters.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:18 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I just wasn't sure about the bolts because the service manual seems to make such a big deal about replacing the bolts any time you take anything in the suspension apart. I just don't want it to come apart at 100 mph at the end of the 1320...because that would be a bad day for me!!!!

Thanks again...I hope I can get a chance to install it this weekend...It would suck to have to look at it all week long!!!!