Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Improving ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Improving ride quality

I ended up settling on six turns with my D-Specs.At that setting its a little bouncy, butIt does a good job if taking theegde off of thosejarring bumps. I also tried a few different settings, seems that no matter the shock setting when you upgrade to lowering springs, and after market (RIGID!) suspension components your ride simply will not be as smooth as a totally stock setup.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Did you modify your bump stops at all? I'm thinking of doing an experiment and removing the bump stops to see if that helps the jarring.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

I have not..I didnt realize you could do that. Let me know how that works out.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

The bump stops are just screwed into the axle so they can be removed. Probably don't want to keep them off since you might have axle to body contact but I just want to see if the jarring reduces. I noticed that the bump stops are less than an inch away from the body so it doesn't provide much upward motion. since I'm dropped about 1.5", the distance between the bump stop and body is significantly reduced than stock.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Could the stops be made shorter so there is more suspension travel? And is that safe?...I mean will the tires rub on the wells or anything?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Good question, I don't know.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:18 AM
PowerHitter

I have heard of people cutting the bump stops, but I would not do that myself. I am running Eibach Pro Kit springs with FRPP dampers and I don't think I ever hit thebumps stops. The car is just to stiff to get that low.

Note that I have a very harsh ride with FRPP dampers, the valving is way to bouncy for me with theEibach's and stock 235/50/18’s (having 255/45/18’s installed on Saturday).I thought the D-Specs had better valving for the street, especially since they are adjustable, but it does not sound like they solve the problem completely. Adjustable Koni's should be available forS197 Mustangsby the end of July. I plan on putting a set on.

S197 Mustang owners also need to have realistic expectations about ride quality and handling after modifications. I never expected my Mustang to have the ride quality or handling my old 528 BMW had with H&R Sports, Koni’s and 19’s. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Stang and the mods I did make it handle almost as good as my old Bimmer, but theNVHconstantly reminds you thatthe suspensionhas been significantly modified.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71338/1D750CDE0C9543B6BCEF1ACF6DBDBEFF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71338/DE5D951111034B87A2657AC34088C6F4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PowerHitter

I have heard of people cutting the bump stops, but I would not do that myself. I am running Eibach Pro Kit springs with FRPP dampers and I don't think I ever hit thebumps stops. The car is just to stiff to get that low.

Note that I have a very harsh ride with FRPP dampers, the valving is way to bouncy for me with theEibach's and stock 235/50/18’s (having 255/45/18’s installed on Saturday).I thought the D-Specs had better valving for the street, especially since they are adjustable, but it does not sound like they solve the problem completely. Adjustable Koni's should be available forS197 Mustangsby the end of July. I plan on putting a set on.

S197 Mustang owners also need to have realistic expectations about ride quality and handling after modifications. I never expected my Mustang to have the ride quality or handling my old 528 BMW had with H&R Sports, Koni’s and 19’s. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Stang and the mods I did make it handle almost as good as my old Bimmer, but theNVHconstantly reminds you thatthe suspensionhas been significantly modified.

[IMG]local://upfiles/71338/1D750CDE0C9543B6BCEF1ACF6DBDBEFF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/71338/DE5D951111034B87A2657AC34088C6F4.jpg[/IMG]
I think your right. I dont plan on cutting the bump stops as Im not even sure Im hitting them to be honest. Im very happy with my Tokicos and my ride is comfortable on normal roads. But when I hit the not so normal roads (ie. pot holes/bad asphault patches) and bumpy driveway inclines I have to take it easy. Its just the nature of the beast...espcially when that beast is dropped. That being said Im not sure the problem is in the shocks but itl be interesting to see how other dampers stack up...let us know how the Koni's works out. Asfar as NVH goes, well like you said its not a BMW..I plan on installing dampening padding to help with that.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Yeah my problem is I'm comparing it to my last ride, a BMW 325i, so I'm a little picky. I don't recall ever even thinking about the ride quality, or imperfections in the road. I'm generally happy with the ride in the stang, I just want to fix the gut-wrenching jolts that I sometimes get on seemingly small imperfections in the road. The Tokicos helped a lot, I was violently bouncing up and down without them. And perhaps I just haven't found the right settings yet since it's all trial-n-error. Every day when I leave for work I try a new setting.

I sent a mail to stangsuspension.com and they recommended installing an adjustable 3rd upper link instead of cutting the bump stops, but I don't see how that will help ride quality. Is fixing the pinion angle something that should be done?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
ov3r
1st Gear Member

IMHO there is not anyway to better ride quailty ... for you to have stock which will prolly be the smoothest ... go back to stock ... bushings from what i read have an effect to correct?

Quick Reply: Improving ride quality