Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

performance alignment specs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:16 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Default performance alignment specs...

I'd like to hear what different alignment specs guys (and gals) are running on their cars w/ suspension mods, and why.
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: performance alignment specs...

I'm interested too. I'm in the process of installing my mods and will be heading to the alignment shop afterwards
Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

The only alignment specs that you can control are toe in and camber. Toe in is more a matter of taste than performance. Ford specifies toe out for the mustang, which surprised me. This is the only rear drive car I know where the manufacturer specifies toe out, but I am no alignment expert. Anyway, the more toe out you dial in, the sharper your turn in response will be, at some point the car gets too "darty", I won't use the term "unstable". You can set your toe in for "zero" which is what I would use. If you adjust your car for toe in, maybe 1/16 inch, your car car will track straighter on highly crowned roads. If you live in Iowa or Pennsylvaniathatcan bea serious consideration.

You can set your front camber to be more negative, this will help prevent understeer in hard cornering, but the effect is very small. You have to use camber adjustment bolts or plates. For a street car I highly recommend 0.5 degrees negative camber, this allows the tires to "bite" immediately on turn in, and is about the maximum you can get and still expect even tire wear. If you use more negative camber you must be seriously looking to shave another .10 second off your lap times.

If you have camber bolts you may be able to adjust your caster. You probably cannot adjust it very much, and it makes no difference what the number is unless you are trying to shave the last .01 second off your lap times. Just adjust both sides of the car to the same caster value. Theoretically more caster makes your car more stable and provides better camber path in corners, but for practical purposes you will never notice.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:46 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Steeda recommends as much as 1.3 degrees neg camber for the street. i'm right at 1 degree on the street right now with no adverse tire wear.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:20 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Steeda recommends as much as 1.3 degrees neg camber for the street. i'm right at 1 degree on the street right now with no adverse tire wear.
What front end mods do you have? How low is your car?
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM
leepinlen
1st Gear Member

getting alignment next week and thinking the samething, bmr springs with d-spec's, front lowered 1 1/2 inch. Went to dealership with camber bolts from stangsuspenion and they said not for amustang. They gave me a printout with the front camber at -1.74, I installed the camber bolts myself and set it full positive, going elsewhere for alignment. Thinking about -.75 to -1 camber setting
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I have H&R race springs, Bilsteins, and a RossMustang k-member with my roll center corrected. I also have K-Mac camber/caster plates.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:40 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: leepinlen

getting alignment next week and thinking the samething, bmr springs with d-spec's, front lowered 1 1/2 inch. Went to dealership with camber bolts from stangsuspenion and they said not for amustang. They gave me a printout with the front camber at -1.74, I installed the camber bolts myself and set it full positive, going elsewhere for alignment. Thinking about -.75 to -1 camber setting
With the Eibach Sportlines I'm at 1.6* neg, without any camber correction. This is helping with the poor roll center geometry, and I have very little understeer, if any. Funny thing is, Ford's factory specs for camber allows 1.5* neg, so technically, this is only one tenth of a degree out of spec. (This is what my alignment shop told me...I kinda laughed and asked him if he thought 1.5 deg. on the street was "a little much". He said yeah...we'll just keep an eye on the tires...) I've been running the stock 235/50-18's (trying to decide what to do for rims and tires) and those (relatively) narrow tires (who'dhave ever thought we'd be calling a 235/50 narrow!) seemed to like that much camber, but now I decided to go with 255/45's (Nitto NT555) and I'm a little more concerned about tire wear. I'm considering getting camber bolts and adjusting back to 1.0* and seeing how the car likes that.I'm very impressed with this car's handling with the 235's...I've pushed the **** out of it with no surprises, so I'm looking forward to more tire and what it'll do. Of course, I'm sure it'll bring out the weaknesses in the set-up, but that's to be expected. I'm ordering front LCA's this week, and going to raise the mounts .75". That'll help the geometry.
BTW...say what you like about the Sportlines, but I'm having no issues with them, and love the ride height. They have settled a little, and the factory shocks are starting to get a little "soft" (still waiting for coilovers) but for basically a stock suspension, this thing rocks!!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:50 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I have H&R race springs, Bilsteins, and a RossMustang k-member with my roll center corrected. I also have K-Mac camber/caster plates.

I went to the Ross website and it seemed the only thing they had any details on was the K Member (for the '05-'07) Looks like a very nice piece...do you think it was worth the extra $$ and work? How was the install? How's the NVH?
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:03 PM
searay2006
2nd Gear Member

I run sportlines also, no problems and like the way the car handles. I have my camber set at 1.25 neg and toe at +1/16" tires are wearing great

Quick Reply: performance alignment specs...