Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCA rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

Default LCA rattle?

I just installed the BMR adjustable LCA's ( 1 poly end, 1 rod end}. I know the rod ends give you more "noise" but I have never had them before. Now going over bumps it sounds like a rattle from the back. Is this normal? Is the "noise" from rod ends supposed to sound like a rattle or more like vibration? thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: LCA rattle?

also where can you get the tool to adjust the pinion angle?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

also where =can you get the tool that measures pinion angle?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

When you installed the LCA's, did you use the same bolts/washers that were on the factory ones, or did you get new ones? Many people have had problems with those. It seems the ones from the factory are only meant to be torqued to specs once, so that could be your problem.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You should not be hearing any rattling. My guess is that you have either a loose bolt (remember that the bolts need to be torqued to 129 ft-lb. That is quite a lot actually) or it may be the parking brake cables hitting the body or the LCA. Secure the brake cables with some heavy-duty zip ties or something similar. I also suggest loctiting your bolts & the jam nuts on the rod-end adjusters too.

The new LCAs will transmit more road noise, but it is not a rattling or banging or clunking sound. It is a steady background "hiss" or "static" type of sound when your car is moving. It sounds a bit like driving slowly over gravel.

You can get the pinion angle measuring tool from many hardware stores. Sears has one for $10. You can also order them from many different places that sell racing parts.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

What advantage is there to running the combo LCAs? I wouldnt mind a small amount of "road noise"..but Im trying to justify the cost of going with the combos.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The combo type are stiffer than the double-poly type and they also have better articulation due to the flexibility of the rod end. However, they are much quieter than the double-rod-end race version.

Basically you get 90% of the performance of the race parts but with much less noise.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Al, I know people have said this before but you are one of this forum's best assets. Im always impressed on how you answer just about every question posed to you. If you arent sponsored, you should be. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Al strike again!!!

+1 for his immense knowledge and help!!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:52 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

I used the stock bolts with thread lock. there were no washers. where can you get replacement bolts? I will try to zip tie the brake likes first. I didn't think of that. Thanks for the input guys. I love this site.

Quick Reply: LCA rattle?