Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Wheresmynoah87

Default Please help me

hey, my name is christy and i am about to buy a 2005 mustang but am not sure about the whole rear wheel drive thing. everyone is telling me not to get it because of that but i really love this car, and always have since i was so small. i liked all the versions of it but the new one is my favorite besides the 1st ones. but i just want to ask the people who really know, is it hard to drive in the snow and rain? can i just have new tires and be fine? i know i might sound like an idiot because i dont know much but please help me.

<3thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me

People did get around before front wheel drive, you know! haha..

I live in Nebraska, and my Mustang was very surprising in the snow--in a good way. I advise you to find a model with the Traction Control System because it totally helps you stay in a straight line. I made it up some steep, snowy hills, and the system made sure that I never spun out. I didn't use snow tires, but I did have 200 pounds of sand in the trunk, and I never got stuck.
If you take it slow & easy, you'll be all right. If that's your only reason for not buying a Mustang.. I'd buy one.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Wheresmynoah87

ok thank you so much, is it like a button or what? and how does it do in the rain? does the anti lock brake in 4wheels help?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wheresmynoah87

ok thank you so much, is it like a button or what? and how does it do in the rain? does the anti lock brake in 4wheels help?
Definitely get ABS!

I don't have it in my pony, but I've had it in all my trucks.

I also don't have Traction Control.

I also didn't have 200 pounds of sand in my trunk, and didn't have snow tires.

Needless to say I didn't have fun getting home during an afternoon snowstorm!!!!

Here's the mess I was in at 25 feet from my driveway!

The last 50ft I was just spinning the tires at 4000RPM, clawing for traction.

I'm thinking about a set of chains for my hill next year. And sand. And snow tires. And... just taking my 4x4 to work...

Still, I have owned a lot of cars and this one is definitely the MOST FUN TO DRIVE!!!

People love it and compliment you everywhere you go.

You'll get decent gas mileage, resonable insurance rates, and a pretty big trunk!

Listen to AmericanICON, add some weight in the back and drive slowly in the snow.

It is perfectly balanced for driving in the rain even with stock BFG tires.

Good luck, and post some photos when you get her!

SOHC
Old 04-26-2007, 03:45 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

you'll be fine. don't be afraid of the rear wheels propelling the car. lol.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Wheresmynoah87

thank you so much everyone but everyone is telling me that i shouldnt get it because i shouldnt have to put weight in the back and stuff. i said who cares as long as i love the car and im safe? but my dad said that i should just get a car that doesnt have to be so much trouble.... i want a mustang and dont want to waste my time and money if im not gonna be safe. and if i put weight in the back does it waste my gas? i just want to be able to drive regularly and not have to worry "oh **** im gonna spin out" like SOHCman after a snowstorm, and i def dont have the money just to have a truck for work haha.

so heres the real question. can i drive like a regular person with the antilock brakes in 4 wheels and traction control? and not have to worry??
Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

so heres the real question. can i drive like a regular person with the antilock brakes in 4 wheels and traction control? and not have to worry??
Yes and yes, assuming a regular person is driving sensibly. The secret of driving in snow and ice is to do everything like you are doing it in slow motion. Stop and start slowly, turn gently, give yourselfextra, extra room to stop. Staya longway away from everyone else who may not be able to drive. Quick, jerky movements will get you in trouble regardless of whether you have front drive, rear drive orall-wheel drive.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

thank you so much everyone but everyone is telling me that i shouldnt get it because i shouldnt have to put weight in the back and stuff. i said who cares as long as i love the car and im safe? but my dad said that i should just get a car that doesnt have to be so much trouble.... i want a mustang and dont want to waste my time and money if im not gonna be safe. and if i put weight in the back does it waste my gas? i just want to be able to drive regularly and not have to worry "oh **** im gonna spin out" like SOHCman after a snowstorm, and i def dont have the money just to have a truck for work haha.

Like Paleoc said, DRIVE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY in bad weather.

I have seen just as many, if not more, Jeep and front wheel drive cars off the road in snowstorms!!

I happen to have a VERY STEEP DIRT ROAD that leads to my house. You probably don't too much driving on unplowed dirt roads.

The Mustang is one of the SAFEST cars on the road, Solid construction, Dual Airbags, Side Intrusion Beams, ABS, etc etc

People who drive front wheel drive cars are OVERCONFIDENT. 4"+ of snow and blizzard conditions, I am chugging along in the right lane and Hondas and Toyotas are FLYING by me at 55+ !! WTF?!?!? 50 miles an hour in the snow?

If you had ANY rear wheel drive car, weight in the back is a good idea. But a few bags of play sand will decrease mileage by maybe 1 mpg, you won't notice.

The trunk is plenty big for sand AND groceries.

A decent set of snow tires is a good idea onANY car.

Personally, I never drive "like a regular person". Regular drivers suck!

Cell phones, coffee, makeup and newspapers, I've seen it all.

Be cautious, think ahead and slow down in snow. You'll be fine.

All the cars I have ever owned were rear wheel drive.

The Mustang is my favorite.

SOHC
Old 04-27-2007, 01:20 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Well, you're putting weight on the drive wheels, which improves traction. Front wheel drive cars don't go easier in the snow because of some magic fairy. It's because the weight of the engine is over the drive wheels; so consequently, it's normal to put weight over the drive wheels. To "everyone" that's telling you that you shouldn't have to put weight in the back--ask them why the gas stations put out sandbags in the winter for people to buy. Ask them if they know the real reason why FWD cars take off better in the snow. Weight over the drive wheels.

SOHCman makes a great point... whether you have RWD, FWD, or AWD..take it slow, and you'll be fine. The tips that Paleoc and SOHCman stated go for any vehicle, no matter what you're driving.

As far as hurting your mileage..well, anytime you add weight, you're hurting mileage. What's the difference between 200 pounds of sand in your trunk vs. a 200 pound guy? Or two friends that combine for more than that?

Personally, I feel that a RWD car is more predictable in the snow. If you're losing traction, the rear end kicks out either left or right, if you simply let off the gas and steer in the direction of the skid, you'll straighten out just fine. During one snowstorm here, I went up a hill just fine, even passing a 2wd Ford Ranger that couldn't make it.

Besides, how often are the roads snowpacked? Where I live, the major roads are cleared within a day of a snowstorm

Who's buying the car? You or your dad? Tell him to quit acting like a wuss! haha.. Ask him how cars got around before FWD!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

and not have to worry "oh **** im gonna spin out" like SOHCman after a snowstorm
Oh, and BTW I didn't spin out, just couldn't get traction (spun the wheels).

I only "spin out" on purpose.

hahaha

SOHC

PS: Here's the hill of fun!

[IMG]local://upfiles/62156/1F8D398587E044C39B5D8C0602A5FD34.jpg[/IMG]