Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

fine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

Default fine tuning

With my suspension setup as below, would it be to any advantage to replace the front sway with a more aggressive one ? Seems although the car handles pretty well that the front end tends to roll a bit more than I would think it should, would even a stiffer rear bar help this and still keep the front from under steering with a bigger front bar ?

Mark
Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: fine tuning

You have a pretty similar setup to what I had a while back. I ran a beefier front bar (BMR) for a bit just to see how it felt and frankly I did not feel/see any real difference but I know some otherpeople who swear it helped.

You mention both roll and understeer so adjusting thethe front and rear dampening on the d-specs and adjusting tire pressure may net you better/cheaper results. A little suspension and a little mechanical grip adjustment together.

Having a little understeer dialed into the suspension is preferred IMO as you can use that in the turn to adjust your line - if its too much for you, or the front is not reacting quick enough then just tweak the front/rear ratios and check the tire pressure... and the tire size itself can come into play on the mechanical grip as well of course.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 AM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

Pony....Thanks for the info, That has been my thought as of this morning so on the way home I will try pushing up the front dampening a bit. Not that I mind the understeer asI would prefer that as to over but it just seems that as I am entering some turns the roll seems to throw more wieght forward. Guess thats actually helping with tire grip but....if I could keep it a little more flat maybe the rear would slid through a bit easier and thus better out of corner control.. ?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I think you are probably getting there...just don't tinker with too many variables at a time and you will find you learn a lot more that way.
Frankly I found that the rear needed more help catching up to the front rather than the other way around..once I installed the roll bars it firmed up the rear a lot and now I am pretty much neutral by the time I go back to throttle. Of course that's all relative to the pace and grip at the turn.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:16 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

There's room on the stock front bar to add a couple more holes if you really decide you want to stiffen it up a ittle. I'm running coilovers so I have the advantage of playing with spring rates. I have the bias a little closer (stiffer rear to front ratio) which helped with roll stiffness and understeer (instead of a rear bar). I drilled my front bar and have the links in the center hole, and still run the stock rear bar. On tight corners, 1st and 2nd gear, overteer is just a push of the throttle away. On long sweepers (over 110) the front will push but it's completely predictable, and still brings the front around. Once back on the gas and exiting, the car just hooks and goes. Very predictable and balanced with a tone of understeer. I have a few regular turns I run hard into fourth (125-130) and even there, this amazing little car sticks like no tomorrow. I'm considering goingto theGT500 rear bar and moving the links to the tightest hole on the front, but I don't want to get into a situaton where the car stats getting jittery over bumps in the corners. Honetly, I can't magine it getting much better than it is now.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks all so far ......I adjusted the fronts to 2 1/2 turns and the backs are still 3 1/2, and the car seems to hadle a bit better in the quick turns. I agree that in the long sweeping turns the car absolutely handles great and is very predictable. It's the short hard turns at speed that the front tends to still understeer and dive a bit......but thats to be expected. I drive the hills from santa cruz to san jose everyday and take some good hard turns so I like the quick hard corners as a bench mark...
Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the pig of a car we have called a Mustang I love it, but I know what you are talking about. That was probably my biggest complaint at this moment would be the roll and understeer of the car at autox, but I'm still learning to really drive the car, and I don't want to do suspension mods until I get better at driving