Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Getting Ready for the TRACK

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

Default Getting Ready for the TRACK

Hey guys,
im planning on going to a track in a couple of months and was needing some advise for preparing my car
i have about 1500 dollars to do this so it has to be the essensials
so far on my car i only have:
3:55's
CAI and Tune
MGW Short Throw Shifter

To get ready for the track i plan on having a all around upgrade with in the price range including
- Hawk Brake Pads
- Motul
- Rear Sway
- Tociko D-Specs
- Steeda Sport Springs
- Adj. Panhard Bar

and i think that would be about all the money i have left.

What would yall suggest for around the 1500 - 2000 dollar price range?

Hunter
Old 11-19-2007, 08:59 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Getting Ready for the TRACK

oh and of course new tires
Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

What kind of racing are you doing?

If you are tracking just make sure your brake fluid isn't cloudy, if it is change it with a higher temp fluid. Motul, Ford HD, etc...

SS brake lines are a good upgrade along with a track pad of some sort, Hawk HT-10s are very good. Put them on at the track don't drive on the street with them.

Then a good set of tires so you dont cup or tear up your street tires, Toyo RA-1's are a very good tire, consistent to the chords.

Go out and have fun, don't hold back on the track!! These cars do turn, not just go in a straight line for a quater mile.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Go with the Valvoline dot4 synthetic, not the Motul. The Motul will mess with the ABS after a while. You might look into some Quantum brake ducting for the front.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 AM
JB_Sonic_197
1st Gear Member

Buy the Ford Racing Handling Pack ( springs, sway bars, struts, shocks, brace)

Get new rotors and pads Power Slot & Hawks

Change the brake fluid the day before you go ( fresh fluid is much better)

Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!

listen to me -

1.Get your brakes in order. Hawk HPS or HP+ pads, Motul fluid, stainless lines, brakes ducts. MUST HAVE BRAKE DUCTS
2.Get a SA approved helmet, gloves and comfortable shoes (for pedal feel)
3. Bring a cooler with LOTS of fluids for you. you will get very dehydrated on a track day without even realizing it.

Leave the damned car ALONE. You haven't had it on track yet and might not be a very good driver yet - so YOU really dont know what the car NEEDS.

Save your money for more track days and instruction. You can improve the car as you improve your skills. The best stuff there is for the car isn't worth a damn if you dont know how to control it. You are asking for trouble by over modding the car. You will end up having a car that handles so well that when it starts to let go you will be going so damned fast that you will pucker up REAL quick lol.

This is sound advice. You will see what I mean once you go. The money you dont spend on the car will come in handy for more important things first. You will notice that the stock seats SUCK. Your driving will improve if you are comfortable and not sliding around. You will see what I mean.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think I'd add the shocks to that list, but nothing more. It's not clear what year the car is, or how many miles are on it. Might as well get started with proper damping even if the rest of the stock suspension permits more roll and takes slightly longer to take its "set".

Officially, HPS pads are "performance street" pads, though they also work well for auto-X (braking at typical 30 - 60 mph auto-X speeds isn't all that severe in terms of heat generated). HPS might be OK for your first time or two on the road course, but the HP+ really are better suited to that level of use.

Norm
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!

listen to me -

1.Get your brakes in order. Hawk HPS or HP+ pads, Motul fluid, stainless lines, brakes ducts. MUST HAVE BRAKE DUCTS
2.Get a SA approved helmet, gloves and comfortable shoes (for pedal feel)
3. Bring a cooler with LOTS of fluids for you. you will get very dehydrated on a track day without even realizing it.

Leave the damned car ALONE. You haven't had it on track yet and might not be a very good driver yet - so YOU really dont know what the car NEEDS.

Save your money for more track days and instruction. You can improve the car as you improve your skills. The best stuff there is for the car isn't worth a damn if you dont know how to control it. You are asking for trouble by over modding the car. You will end up having a car that handles so well that when it starts to let go you will be going so damned fast that you will pucker up REAL quick lol.

This is sound advice. You will see what I mean once you go. The money you dont spend on the car will come in handy for more important things first. You will notice that the stock seats SUCK. Your driving will improve if you are comfortable and not sliding around. You will see what I mean.

Good luck and have fun!
All very sound advice, thats pretty much allI was saying. Brakes and tires is all you need for the car. I track mine with just tire and brake upgrades. Learn how to drive the car first before you start upgrading it, the car is already better then you.

http://www.agentfortyseven.com/home.html For the brake ducs, if you choose to get them.

Drinking water is very key, once you start to dehydrate your reaction time will slow which can end up bad.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
HunterS664
1st Gear Member

thanks yall for the advice

RodeoFly
Thanks for the awsome advice of saving money!! i like that.
heres my chrismass list for the track now
- Brake Cooling Ducts - http://agentfortyseven.com/S197/brakecooling.html
- HPS or HP+ Brake pads
* Can HP+ be used on the street or are they just too noisy
* http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-mustang-brakes.html
- Motul Brake Fluid (Changed the day before the track) (im trusting RodeoFlyer yall... no offense)
- Stainless Steel Brake Lines
* Which company do you recomend getting these from?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RodeoFlyer
not even something to decrease body roll?

Thanks for the imput yall
Old 11-20-2007, 06:36 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Body roll really wont be a concern with the way you are set up now. I agree with Norm on the dampers if it's in your budget. If you do I wouldn't bother messing with them at the track unless your instructor advises it. Figure out how you like them on the street and add a few clicks when you get to the track if you must.

HP+ are much better for the track but are very noisy. You will sound like a school bus with them on the street. The reality is that right now you are going to use the brakes way more than you need to so it's not worth blowing money on the HP+.

If your handy i'd just take an extra set of stockers and a 13mm wrench with you. Somebody there will have a jack
No sense in destroying the good stuff - and use stock rotors! I use factory takeoffs at $40 a pair.

Quick Reply: Getting Ready for the TRACK