Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Where Do I Get This? Please Look

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Where Do I Get This? Please Look

When I do the spring install I will be installing new struts in the front. So, I shouldn't need to compress the springs and remove the stock struts if I have:
[ul][*]New struts[*]New GT500 upper strut mounts[*]Rubber isolator pictured below[/ul]
IS THERE ANYTHING I'M MISSING THAT WOULD NORMALLY BE SCAVENGED FROM THE ORIGINAL SET UP AND REUSED? IF SO, I NEED TO GET PRIOR TO INSTALL. THANKS!

I'm assuming I can get this part only from the dealer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55848/BF8DD66040F84732973FD8596B6838FC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Where Do I Get This? Please Look

Also, this part is not shown in this Ford parts diagram...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...g-assembly.pdf
Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

One more thought...would this come with the strut since it is not shown as a separate part?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

You don't list the struts or springs you are installing and I am not familiar with the GT500 upper strut mounts but I can tell you that neither the Tokico D-Specs nor Eibach Pro springs comewith either the spring protector (the image you up loaded) or the rubber spring isolator (which is not pictured in that PDF file, so maybe its part of the GT500 strut mount). I had to scavenge both off the OEM parts.

I went to AutoZone and rented a McPherson strut compressor.

You can see a picture of that spring protector being installed in TacoBills write up: https://mustangforums.com/m_3070963/tm.htm
Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

You don't list the struts or springs you are installing and I am not familiar with the GT500 upper strut mounts but I can tell you that neither the Tokico D-Specs nor Eibach Pro springs comewith either the spring protector (the image you up loaded) or the rubber spring isolator (which is not pictured in that PDF file, so maybe its part of the GT500 strut mount). I had to scavenge both off the OEM parts.

I went to AutoZone and rented a McPherson strut compressor.

You can see a picture of that spring protector being installed in TacoBills write up: https://mustangforums.com/m_3070963/tm.htm
Argonaut - The springs are Eibach Pro-Kit and the struts are Steeda Non-adjustable Pro action. The GT500 upper strut mounts are just a beefed up version of the stock GT one.
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mentioned the rubber spring isolator.
I'd like to just buy new versions of these basic parts at the dealer.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Take a look at this How-To article. Look at 9th and 10th photos. The explain how you need to pry the rubber spring isolator off the stock strut mount and re-use it. This is what I'm referring to. But, I don't know if it applies to you, i.e. I don't know if the mounts you have will come with the part. I have the J&M mounts, just like in this post, so this does apply to me.

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-070511.html

Also: The instructions that come with the Eibach-Pro tell you to re-use the stock bump cushion or whatever its called. Its a hard rubber piece that is used when you bottom out. You have to take it off the stock strut and insert it on the shaft of the new strut, along with the dust boot that comes in the Eibach kit.

So, in my case, I am re-using three parts from the stock struts, all of which require me to remove the stock spring: spring isolator, spring protector, bump cushion.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:54 AM
JB_Sonic_197
1st Gear Member

If you are using new struts and new springs, with new upper mounts you don't need a spring compressor. Just install the new parts... yu should be able to order the rubber sheath in your first post from Ford.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Take a look at this How-To article. Look at 9th and 10th photos. The explain how you need to pry the rubber spring isolator off the stock strut mount and re-use it. This is what I'm referring to. But, I don't know if it applies to you, i.e. I don't know if the mounts you have will come with the part. I have the J&M mounts, just like in this post, so this does apply to me.

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-070511.html

Also: The instructions that come with the Eibach-Pro tell you to re-use the stock bump cushion or whatever its called. Its a hard rubber piece that is used when you bottom out. You have to take it off the stock strut and insert it on the shaft of the new strut, along with the dust boot that comes in the Eibach kit.

So, in my case, I am re-using three parts from the stock struts, all of which require me to remove the stock spring: spring isolator, spring protector, bump cushion.

Good luck!
Argonaut - Since the GT500 upper strut mounts are a Ford piece, I think it may include that isolator - they are just a beefed up version of the factory Mustang GT piece. If I'm lucky, it will, then I just have to go to Ford for the piece pictured.

Thanks again...also, thanks JB_Sonic!!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JB_Sonic_197

If you are using new struts and new springs, with new upper mounts you don't need a spring compressor. Just install the new parts... yu should be able to order the rubber sheath in your first post from Ford.
Just found out the Steeda Pro Action struts re-use the strut nut on the top, so no matter what I have to take the stock struts apart.[:@]
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Update: FYI, after visiting Ford, none of these rubber isolator pieces are available separately like they were on the pre-S197 Mustangs...so, all parts MUST be scavenged from the stock strut/spring set up.