Need Better Traction - MustangForums.com

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #1  
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default Need Better Traction

So I added a bunch of performance goodies over the summer (longtube headers, dyno tune, underdrive pulleys, and 3.73 gears), and now I am noticing the car breaking the tires loose a lot easier. I did not notice this as much over the summer while it was still warm, but twice in the last month, in colder weather with my snow tires on, I have lost traction while accelerating. It has not been icey or wet,the ground wasmaybe a little salty and it was definitely cold. Can cold weather (less than 20 degs) cause even snow tire rubber to get hard enough to greatly reduce traction?

Any mods I can do to improve my straight line traction or traction when accelerating out of a corner,for every day driving? I am not really planning on taking the car to the track. Being able to launch hard froma stop isn't as important asjust maintaing traction while under heavy acceleration.

I was thinking of going with a lightweight driveshaft and delete plates this spring, but it has me a little worried since my car is a daily driver that will see plenty of snow and ice, and apparently my car is already making plenty of power. I hate to think that it will break the tires loose that easy, especially when the ground doesn't appear to be slick. I am used to driving around all winter like I am on egg shells, but it would be nice to have a little more confidence in mytraction when I have some dry ground.

sdwndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #2  
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Better Traction

1. Thing I would do with your setup is deff. get some upper and lower control arms. I recommend BMR. You can get some good prices from ninosport.com 2. Get some BF Goodrich kdw or kdws tires.
Mustang3GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #3  
cobra443
4th Gear Member

+1
cobra443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #4  
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Hey sdwndr,

It's not a bad thing that you're making enough power to easily break the rear loose [8D], it just means you need to go to the next stage of upgrades. Anyway, with your set up and what you seem to want to use the car for, suspension components can greatly benefit you. For cornering and handling roads, Sway Bars are a must and you will notice a significant improvement in body roll or lack there of. For traction you will definitely want a set of Lower Control Arms (LCAs) which will also eliminate the wheel hop. A set of shocks and struts will help provide improved handling and road feel. Finally, lowering springs will complement the shocks and struts nicely and firm up the soft and boat like suspension while giving the car a a nice stance. Also keep in mind that a good set of tires is one of your best bets in improving traction.

http://www.steeda.com/products/tokico_d_spec.php

http://www.steeda.com/products/bille...iling_arms.php

http://steeda.com/products/swaybar_kit_s197.php

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/start.exe/...FQG3YAodoUlYUw
Stang Skeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 AM   #5  
reeflover
2nd Gear Member

Put some wider rims and tires with snow chains on them. That should take care of any traction problem. Sorry, I can't help much I live in south Florida it was 80 yesterday.
reeflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #6  
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: sdwndr

I did not notice this as much over the summer while it was still warm, but twice in the last month, in colder weather with my snow tires on, I have lost traction while accelerating. It has not been icey or wet,the ground wasmaybe a little salty and it was definitely cold. Can cold weather (less than 20 degs) cause even snow tire rubber to get hard enough to greatly reduce traction?
Absolutely. All tire tread compounds stiffen as the temperature drops. Also, snow tires aren't likely to have the same traction on bare pavement as performance all-seasons. And the salt will act just like an equal amount of fine sand does during the summer.

Quote:
Any mods I can do to improve my straight line traction or traction when accelerating out of a corner,for every day driving? I am not really planning on taking the car to the track. Being able to launch hard froma stop isn't as important asjust maintaing traction while under heavy acceleration.
Unless you're getting wheel hop, grippier tires is the main thing that can help both the straight line acceleration and acceleration on corner exit. Most everything else helps only one of those and hurts the other at least a little.

Quote:
I was thinking of going with a lightweight driveshaft and delete plates this spring, but it has me a little worried since my car is a daily driver that will see plenty of snow and ice, and apparently my car is already making plenty of power. I hate to think that it will break the tires loose that easy, especially when the ground doesn't appear to be slick. I am used to driving around all winter like I am on egg shells, but it would be nice to have a little more confidence in mytraction when I have some dry ground.
Take it out to a few autocrosses. You'll get to find out what the car is really capable of and how to drive it to get more out of it if you have an instructor either ride along or drive it. Your skills should improveas far as doing the right thing is concerned once one end or the other begins to slide a little, as should your confidence. Don't underestimate the importance of having confidence while you're driving - anywhere. Not having it equals panicking, which frequently translates into having a rather bad day.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote