Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hows this suspension looking??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

Default Hows this suspension looking??

So im putting together a suspension this winter and wondering how this looked. Mostly for street and a couple runs on the 1/4 mile. Gonna go with Tokico D-specs,steeda sports, BMR LCAS, upper third link and the PH bar. Anything i should add to this??
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hows this suspension looking??

hope u're getting an adjustable PH bar.

also, add Steeda Heavy Duty strut mounts to your list for the front. OEM strut mount sucks.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

ya im gonna rock the adjustable PHB. What about the LCAS do i need the adjustable ones?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Realizing that I sell performance parts for a living and all.... I really try and stress to folks that some sort of specifics are important on deciding on parts. When someone asks "do I need _____"it's far to easy to say "yes", and many vendors will (some won't). And many well-meaning folks who don't sell parts will because they've been told that some item is needed.

The dirty secret is that's not really true. Parts do a job, if you don't need the job done, or it's better done with other parts then you don't "need" ______.

As for the upper strut mounts. Classic case of "need" vs. improving. Stock strut mounts haven't given me any issue and most every car out there has them and wheels aren't falling off. I run a stock class in autox with the Mustang so have to use them. But they've not given me any reason to hate using them. They haven't broken, bound up or done anything dumb. Color me one of those folks that doesn't include them on the need list, at least not as a primary issue.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The strut mounts are in fact a VERY common problem Sam. FoMoCo actually has a TSB on the car for them, and they are on version 3.0 now or something like that lol. I replaced mine when we had the front end apart since we were in there anyway.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think you mis-understand. I didn't say they weren't ever a problem and am well aware of the TSB's. Note that it's a TSB and not a recall, and because it's a TSB there are new versions available from Ford (and should be free). Now they aren't race parts or CC plates and I know that too. But the "popping" is coming from the mount coming apart. I had one do it once when I was changing struts, and some bearings came out. Took me 2 minutes to fix it and snap it together. And this was on my own car, and I have zero strut mount noise.

If you want to change 'em, change 'em, no harm and there is at least an underlying rational for it. That's different than saying you need too.That'd be like saying that because there is a TSB on e-brakecables that every car needs to have new ones put on. Might not hurt,but if you seals aren't bad and you live in the desert where it never rains and rarely gets below freezing you don't haveas much reason to do it as say I do here in the Northeast.

I'm withyou,and don't think it's a terrible idea to change them if you see fit. Just don't thinkit's a must.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
fastjohnny

I had a problem with my upper strut mounts, what was happening was the cup would tip under presure and that would make the spring bind, I put in j&m caster camber plates and am very happy with the results, I have a friend that has a 06 gt and he hasn't had the problem when he put lowering springs in, so it must be a isolated problem, now i will say that if you want to adjust your caster camber that you might want to invest in them anyway........
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

...or compromise like I did and go with the OEM GT500 Upper Strut mounts M-18183-A for about $70 a pair. Good luck finding them though. No one has them right now.
Here's a link... http://www.lightningforceperformance...-gt-p-954.html

Mainly, I didn't want to re-use the stock ones after 100,000 miles BUT wasn't going to spend $300 for them either.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55848/A09E0A766408465D891108098215952C.jpg[/IMG]