Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension Kits

I'm considering getting either the Steeda or the Roush suspension kit in the links below. What have people heard about these, is one of these superior to the other? I've heard Eibach is good as well, but I'd prefer a kit that doesn't drop the car quite as must as the Eibach drops the car.

http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_...ak_stage_3.php
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=471

Second question, is it smart to purchase the entire suspension kit or just the lowering springs themselves? There's a huge cost difference between the kit and just the springs, and I wasn't sure if it was going to be worth the extra money.

Also, if I were to purchase just the lowering springs, are there other problems that might occur if I don't also install the entire suspension kit?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Kits

I've had both those springs on my car and i prefer the Roush hands down, especially the rear, but that's me. The shocks will be about equal, so will the sway bars. The strut brace doesn't really do much but it is a bonus. Most people piece together their own parts. In fact, with some shopping, you can get the Roush or Steedasprings, D-Specs, and a set of swaybars for less than theprice of those kits. I would save the swaybars for last. Once you upgrade the springs, unless you really road race, you won't need stiffer swaybars.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info! Just to clarify, if I were to get the springs + struts + shocks, it would basically get me all of the performance and lowering benefits, and the swaybars would be less important than the rest? It looks like the Roush springs + struts + shocks can be pieced together for around $800, so much less than the kit including the front and rear swaybars.

Any one else have other opinions?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Do you have a V6 or a GT?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

GT
Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Be Rad 13

GT
Either kit would perform well.
The Steeda kit has the lowered ball joints and bump steer kit.
I would just go with the Roushfront/rear springs and Roush front
struts and rear shocks if cost is a factor.

FRPP $1099.95
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Be Rad 13

Thanks for the info! Just to clarify, if I were to get the springs + struts + shocks, it would basically get me all of the performance and lowering benefits, and the swaybars would be less important than the rest? It looks like the Roush springs + struts + shocks can be pieced together for around $800, so much less than the kit including the front and rear swaybars.

Any one else have other opinions?
Having the OEM GT front and rear sways alreadyis a plus.
The Roush front and rear shocks/springs would perform
OK with the OEM GT front/rear sways unless you plan on
racing. If you dont replace the OEM sways, at least replace
the cheap OEM rubber bushings with Poly bushings.
Here is a post about the bushings:
https://mustangforums.com/m_4527749/tm.htm

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/883C473E8B5046AEB3746356342E7514.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

and the swaybars would be less important than the rest?
Yes, the swaybars merely increase spring rate. They transfer force, when cornering, from side to side effectively using both rear springs to put force on the outside tire. Since you're already increasing your spring rate, you'll be doing a better job than any swaybar could do. In my sig, you'll see I have the steeda rear bar. I'm likely going back to stock due to the all to easy oversteer!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

BeRad13

Howare you planning to use the car,i.e. DD, road course track days, strip or ?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

Mostly DD and drag straight-line type stuff.Though, I wouldn't mind improved handling for taking on the curvy roads in my area.

Basically,I want tolower my car without sacrificing handlingor potentially damaging my suspension. I've read that putting on lowering springs without also upgrading the shocks, for example, could cause damane to the shocks. So, I'd like to know what I should also do when adding lowering springs. From what I've read above, I think it makes sense to also upgrade the shocks and struts. Is that enough, or are there other things that I should be doing? I don't want to spend a ton of cash if it's not needed though, but like I said, I don't want to sacrifice safety, and if I can improve handling in the process, it'll be a plus.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Suspension Kits