Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tokico Dspec settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tokico Dspec settings

What I think you mostly want stiffer in the rear is bump damping, and combined with soft front rebound damping. FWIW, that's pretty much what the old-school 90/10 fronts pairedwith 50/50 rears ended up giving you relative to most shocks intended for normal street driving.

Anyway, overly stiff rebound damping in the rear could conceivably unload the tires if the rear initially squatted (due to less than 100% anti-squat) and then rose once the acceleration started to drop off. TnT is what will hopefully get you to the best overall compromise at least for that strip on that particular day/night, since D-Specs cannot separately adjust bump and rebound. And if you later add relo brackets or use a different set of holes, you'd get to go through it again.

Norm
Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

If you have adjustable shocks and struts you might as well adjust them to the best settings for whatever the situation requires.

I have always been under the impression that full soft in the front and firming the rear (from full soft) just slightly to keep traction was the best setting, the D-spec manually actually has this in there. This method seems to be working for me (front=7 turns rear=5.5-6 turns), best 60' has been a 1.82 with the suspension set up on the stock 235 pirellis.

GotMunchies, do you frequent the strip? Maybe I can give your setup a try (I'm going to TnT tonight). I am always open to new ideas.
I actually don't drag race, I'm more of a road racer, so I tend to tune for that. However, I am an engineering student and teach physics in my spare time.

What I haven't taken into consideration are the characteristics of the other suspension components. I honestly haven't studied how the control arms will effect squat, so I can't say.

What I do know, is this. The longer you keep the weight shifted to the rear end, the more more friction your tires will develop with the track. That is cold hard physics.

Let us know what happens!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Daily driver, road racer, and drag strip, I love it all.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?

ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

If you have adjustable shocks and struts you might as well adjust them to the best settings for whatever the situation requires.

I have always been under the impression that full soft in the front and firming the rear (from full soft) just slightly to keep traction was the best setting, the D-spec manually actually has this in there. This method seems to be working for me (front=7 turns rear=5.5-6 turns), best 60' has been a 1.82 with the suspension set up on the stock 235 pirellis.

GotMunchies, do you frequent the strip? Maybe I can give your setup a try (I'm going to TnT tonight). I am always open to new ideas.
I actually don't drag race, I'm more of a road racer, so I tend to tune for that. However, I am an engineering student and teach physics in my spare time.

What I haven't taken into consideration are the characteristics of the other suspension components. I honestly haven't studied how the control arms will effect squat, so I can't say.

What I do know, is this. The longer you keep the weight shifted to the rear end, the more more friction your tires will develop with the track. That is cold hard physics.

Let us know what happens!
Good luck with your studies, I am actually a Civil Engineer, we like our objects to not move! What fielddo you plan on goingin?

We are in agreement with the rear being soft to allow the weight transfer (trial and error for me has found that full soft will allow wheel hop, so I have firmed it up just enough to prevent this), I was more questioning the front being at a firm setting. I guess because the D-Specs adjust bothcompression and rebound, we are left with finding the best compromise. I guess my idea is that a firm setting in the front will resist the initial weight transfer to the rear; and I'm guessing you are reasoning that a firm setting will resist the weight transfer from being returned back to the frontfrom the rear. It seems we are thinking in different aspects of the D-Specs. I guess the best thing would be to study the compression/rebound curve that tokico has set and decide which setting will give the best comboniation for the drag strip.