Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Helwig Sway Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Helwig Sway Bars?

LOL I wouldnt know about that man, I went there a few years back when I turned 18 and that was the last time since. The curvy roads on the way there would be a great way to test out the sway bars
Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
zimba
1st Gear Member

I called and asked for Nancy. I ordered rear bar for 150.00 and 30 bucks to ship. She said it will take 5 to 7 buisness days and it will go out on 5/21. However she didn't ask me for email or give me an order # she just took name address and cc info and that was it. I was only on phone with her for a minute. So I hope it will be here next week.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

call back for a tacking and order #.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
dalbert
1st Gear Member

Theyre a legitimate company they wont scam you. Took mine about a week and a half to get to my house.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 PM
zimba
1st Gear Member

Good to know. I will call tomorrow and ask for tracking #
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

Heres something important to do:
follow the sh*tty directions they give you and you will be happy..lol

..now the story:
I am lowered with Sportlines (2 inches..) so it is next to impossible to get under the car.. since the weight of the car is supposed to be on the ground, not on jackstands, I had some problems.. I jacked the car up and slid wood planks under the wheels and set it back down (weight has to be down).. This gave me a couple more inches, but it wasnt great..
Since I couldn't get behind the shock tower to put on the top bolts, I just decided I would tighten the bottom bolt extra tight and pray for the best..

Now fast forward 2 days..
I take my car in to a shop to get my D Specs put on.. the guy says um.. did you not put on any hardware for a bolt or something?
It turns out that the lack of bolts was bending the shock tower out of place.. something that is not good by any means..lol

So in conclusion, You must bolt the hardware in, even if its hard to do, find a way!

Epilogue:
The shop bent the towers back and put on the right hardware. Happy Endings.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

So is this something thats hard to do? I thought it was something that you just get under the car and bolt on...Is there more to it than that?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

i don't think it'll be too hard as long as you lift the car up - it was pretty tough for me to put the GT takeoff sway when my car still sat stock, but i couldn't imagine trying it now that the car's been lowered.

just yesterday i put on my J&M lower control arms - i'm sure they're just as hard of a task as the sway bar would be, and it took me an hour at the most at a perfectionist's pace.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: So_Cali

So is this something thats hard to do? I thought it was something that you just get under the car and bolt on...Is there more to it than that?
Haha, no worries, I'm sure you will be fine.

Mine was just a PITA because I was lazy and my car is lowered. The HOW TO's online will help more than the directions in the box.. I couldnt tell which "thing" was the right "thing" to bolt where..lol..you'll get the directions and understand.. just get a basic idea from the pictures online and go with what you feel is right.. haha. For me, the directions made things worse..

Also make sure you have the right tools before you begin. I did not. I ended up using 2 socket wrenches, turning them opposite ways, to tighten the bolts.. Probably use something less creative for your install.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

So it sint a MUST for the car to be lowered? I've seen alot of the install pics on here and well, they dont really have as much detail as I'm looking for towards the install of this thing. I just wanna know what I'm getting myself into LOL I'm a little dude so I think I can manage without having to life the car...

Quick Reply: Helwig Sway Bars?