Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Guide My Installation: Tools, Technique, Time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Guide My Installation: Tools, Technique, Time?

ORIGINAL: itchy5

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

This past weekend we installed the Steeda UCA 555-4109, Steeda LCAs 555-4416 and Steeda weld in LCA Reloccation brackets 555-8119 and the difference is amazing.
Sleeper,

Were you able to use the Ford flag bolt on the differential bushing for your UCA? The aftermarket UCA's do not have the stop for the flag bolts. Maybe I didn't use enough MAN, but we just couldn't hold the flag end of the bolt well enough to put 129 ft-lbs on the nylock nut.

What are the upper/lowercontrol arms good for? What type of application?

My application is DD, soon to be s/c'd w/ 430rhp, occasional trips (3-4x/yr) to both road & 1/4 mi. tracks.

I have someone who will trade me a Steeda UCA (Adjustable Street Upper Control Arm 3rd Link, p/n 555-4105) or Steeda LCA's (Billet Rear Control Arms p/n 555-4405 - not adjustable???) for my BMR Strut Tower Brace.

Is this a good trade?

My Strut tower for either an Adj. UCA or LCAs?

Please advise quick!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

My vote is yes for either. If you are already lowered, your LCA's are probably sloping the wrong direction (Mounting point on the chassis is lower than the mounting point on the axle) This is bad for handling and also makes the car squat on acceleration. So you will need some LCA relocation brackets.

The weld in kind are nice, but a real PITA. I would have paid someone to put them in for me, had I realized how difficult it is to make sure the rear axle is square before welding.We made many checks with the tape measure and used straps to hold things in place, but wewere still off by 0.15 degrees.Howeve, well within the ford spec of 3.0 degrees, but not perfect. For all I know, it might have been off from the factory. But, I was in too much of a hurry and didn't check before removing things.

The UCA has a poly bushing, which is more firm than the stock rubber bushing. That piece should prevent wheel hop, and also allow you to set your pinion angle
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Shouldn't I wait and find/purchase adjustable lower controls arms? I am thinking the adj. UCA is not as necessary for my application.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

Shouldn't I wait and find/purchase adjustable lower controls arms? I am thinking the adj. UCA is not as necessary for my application.
There are a lot of threads here talking about the Steeda UCA. Do a search for F1Fan's comment.

After installing mine (absolute total PITA to install) I realize all of the effort was worth it as the combination of the UCA 555-4109 and poly/poly LCAs and weld in LCA relocation brackets has eliminated axle hop even with my SC.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

This past weekend we installed the Steeda UCA 555-4109, Steeda LCAs 555-4416 and Steeda weld in LCA Reloccation brackets 555-8119 and the difference is amazing.
Sleeper,

Were you able to use the Ford flag bolt on the differential bushing for your UCA? The aftermarket UCA's do not have the stop for the flag bolts. Maybe I didn't use enough MAN, but we just couldn't hold the flag end of the bolt well enough to put 129 ft-lbs on the nylock nut.
We did up so many bolts over two days I am not sure but think we got that one to 129 ft lb but it was not easy. We used a new bolt and flag nut and blue loctite.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crazystylin
There are a lot of threads here talking about the Steeda UCA. Do a search for F1Fan's comment.

After installing mine (absolute total PITA to install) I realize all of the effort was worth it as the combination of the UCA 555-4109 and poly/poly LCAs and weld in LCA relocation brackets has eliminated axle hop even with my SC.
Hi Sleeper_08,

I love a satisfied customer! LOL! Yes a total PITA to installbut as you have found an effective piece of fabrication no? Gotta love Steeda's design, engineering and fabrication even if the price initially appearsto be a bit higher than the other lesser parts out there.

Cheers!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

OK, so I think that I am going to trade my BMR strut tower brace bar and $170 for Steeda LCA's and a Steeda adj. UCA.

However, I am intimidated by hearing all the PITA comments re: installing the UCA. Because I am novice, maybe I will let a pro do that part. But I will at least give it a shot.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 AM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

Sleeper,

We did up so many bolts over two days I am not sure but think we got that one to 129 ft lb but it was not easy. We used a new bolt and flag nut and blue loctite.

Sleeper,

I have a new flag bolt and extra nylock nut, next week when I get back under the car to check all the torques and double check the pinion angle and rear axle centering, I'll try to install it and do a better job holding the flag nut.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

In what order should the install be done?

1. Remove sway bar, remove PH Bar, remove rear shocks
2. Install UCA
3. Install LCAs
4. Install Shocks
5. Install PH Bar
6. Install Sway bar

Sound about right? Start with hardest install first?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

so far so good.

PH Bar - OEM removed, new one installed. Easy as apple pie.
Sway Bar - OEM removed. Will install new bar last. Very easy.
Rear shocks are giving me a hard time as they won't unbolt from the top - when I am torqueing to loosen the whole assembly rotates. So I will try a to use two tools to loosen it.

Up next:
1. Get top bolts to rear shocks off, and install Tokico shocks
2. Remove & Install Steeda LCAs
3. Remove & Install UCA
4. Install Sway
5. adjust PHbar & UCA.
6. Remove front struts, install Tokico fronts.
7. Drive it in the mountains!

Quick Reply: Guide My Installation: Tools, Technique, Time?