Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

suspention question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Default suspention question

what can i do to tighten up the front and rear suspention, OEM blows
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: suspention question

lower it with a pro-kit and get tokico D-specs
Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

LCA, adj. UCA, adj panhard bar, RSB, upgrade the wheels and tires just to name a few
Old 05-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

How much money do you want to spend and how stiff do you want it to be, how much noise will you put up with?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mortman

what can i do to tighten up the front and rear suspention, OEM blows
Can you be more specific. You want help fixing what you see as being a problem, but haven't described the problem. What does it do that you don't like, ordoesn't do that you wish it did? For what kind(s) of driving, and how picky are you and your mostfrequent passengers about things like ride confort and NVH? "OEM blows" doesn't give anybody anything to go on, and blindly throwing parts at it and maybe ending up with something you don't like much better doesn't sound like much of a plan.

I just finished reading an article in "Brake and Front End", (a repair industry magazine) concerning an individual who had a shop install a whole slew of performance suspension parts - and promptly put the car into the wall at a track day. That it wasn't a Mustang doesn't really matter. It's that there is no way to tell how well the parts were chosen, but there is reason to believe that the car was way more capable than the driver before the mods were made. But not capable enough to cover for driver error afterward.

Norm
Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

Can you be more specific.

Norm
Sorry I should have known better….
What I cant stand is you can feel every bump in the road on every wheel, I would not mind it so much if the whole car felt it but each wheel is ridicules.
Rear-end seams way loose, get it to the throttle in a corner and she want to come around.
Lastly at high speeds (80 on the high way), hitting a bump in the road she feels like she wants to take off, feels like one or both rear wheels come off the ground
Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Well part of that problem is from our cars having a "live axel" with a panhard bar no really any way around that(without shelling out some major cash). Other than that your best bet is to get some d-specs and adjust them to whatever you feel is most comfortable. Also you should go ahead and throw some lca's which your down there. Wouldnt reccomend lowering if you already think the ride is a little harsh.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mortman

What I cant stand is you can feel every bump in the road on every wheel, I would not mind it so much if the whole car felt it but each wheel is ridicules.
Rear-end seams way loose, get it to the throttle in a corner and she want to come around.
Lastly at high speeds (80 on the high way), hitting a bump in the road she feels like she wants to take off, feels like one or both rear wheels come off the ground
More than anything else, shocks and struts. Adjustables, either D-Specs or Konis, will give you a better chance of finding the ride/handling compromise that best suits you, individually.

LCAs *might* help, by a rather less amount. Do the shocks/struts first and see if that's enough to quiet the ride down.

And what you're feeling at speed might actually be happening. At the very least, a rear wheel that hits a bump is going to become very lightly loaded over certain kinds of bumps. In a turn, that means "loose".

But even in smooth pavement turns the rear ends of these cars seem to be a little "livelier" than the stick axle/front engine/RWD cars that I remember (you can just see the left taillight of my previous FE/RWD car in my avatar pic). There *may* be more aggressive tuning of the Trac-lock - I can hear the inside left sliding slightly when I'm into the throttle in only moderately tight left turns. That's just something for which you need to develop a sensitive foot, as you can't reliably "drive through" that sort of RWD vehicle behavior.

Norm