Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Nitto Tire Question

Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 PM
vf96
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitto Tire Question

My 06 GT has a Roush SuperCharger. I went to extreems with my suspension set up. Steeda UltaLite Lowering Springs,Pro Action Shocks & Struts & Heavy Duty Strut Mounts. Front Sway Bar & Adjustable End Links.Steeda Billet Aluminum LCAs & Billet Aluminum End Links. LCA Relcation Kit. Steeda Upper Control Arm Adjustable 3rd Link. After a lot of reserch I put on a set of Mustang Wheels 3/4" wheel Spacers. A set of BAER Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors. Also a great deal of reserch prior to the rotor purchace.
My question is....I want to put a Set of Nitto Tires on. (235/50 18"] What style do you folks reccommend?? NO winter driving!!
Just need an excellent handeling dry & wet pavement tire. I want Nittos but need advice.
Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitto Tire Question

YIKES!

Before you think of putting any type of quality tire on you need to get proper wheels. Wheel spacers aren't all that smart to begin with let alone 3/4". VERY dangerous. You seem to have spared no expense everywhere else on the car. Even if you have longer studs installed(which you should or you are REALLY pushing it), you are putting considerably higher loads on them than they can handle.

Having said that, I'll always say that street tires are street tires and race tires are race tires. Compromise is a dirty word that lawyers, lawmakers, and married people use. Buy cheap tires for the street and good tires for the track.

Why 235's? Seems awefully small given the intended use of the car.

You didn't go extreme yet - you just spent a lot of money. WHen you cant drive it on the street anymore you will have gone to extremes lol.

Nitto makes great tires. The size you want is pretty silly (no offense) to expect to find a solid performer. Buy the cheapest tires you can find and spend your money on some stickies to use at the track. BTW - BOTH sets will last longer that way and SAVE you money in the long run.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Nitto Tire Question

I agree with Radio

I just purchased a second set of wheels and getting a set of R888's installed on them for Summer/track use andwill continue to use the PS2's for winter. A more expensive way to go, but as the Flyer said.... 'you haven't gone extreme yet'

Jazzer