Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Strut Tower Brace Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
BLACKO9GT

Default Strut Tower Brace Question

My car came with the GT appearance package, which (as you know) has the pony emblem engine cover covering the manifold.

I'm thinking about adding a FORD RACING strut tower brace. My question is, does anyone know if there is enough clearance between the top of the engine cover and the bottom edge of the brace to add it? (I know I can remove the decorative cover, but I'd like to leave it in place). Thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Strut Tower Brace Question

From the looks of your post you are looking for the "bling" of a strut tower brace. So to answer your question YES it will fit.

To keep to the purpose of this section of the forum there is no benefit, suspension wise, to adding a strut tower brace to these cars. You do not need one.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 AM
BLACKO9GT

ORIGINAL: jayel579

From the looks of your post you are looking for the "bling" of a strut tower brace. So to answer your question YES it will fit.

To keep to the purpose of this section of the forum there is no benefit, suspension wise, to adding a strut tower brace to these cars. You do not need one.
Wrong.

As withanything in life, you can't believe everything you hear... that's why I only said I was "thinking" of adding one. I was led to believe that the strut tower braces stiffened and improved the handling of the car. If there is no benefit, suspension wise, there is no point inwasting money on one. I appreciate the information... you just saved me fromtossing away $$ on something that doesn't work!

As far as the "bling" factor... I HATE bling. (I'm as UN-bling as I can get). I bought the car used and the GT appearance package was already on it.I really didn't want the non-functioning hood scoop andrear spoiler- but "them's the breaks" as they say. Theengine coverdoes add a nice touch to the top of the manifold however, IMHO.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

The strut tower bar isn't a significant handling upgrade. It is however (especially for convertables) a ride upgrade; stiffening the towers will help the shocks absorb high frequency bumps better.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:33 PM
BLACKO9GT

ORIGINAL: SlideWRX

"The strut tower bar isn't a significant handling upgrade. It is however (especially for convertables) a ride upgrade; stiffening the towers will help the shocks absorb high frequency bumps better."
That's good to know since mine is a convertible. Originally I wasinterested in the possibility of the s.t.b. improving the overallhandling incorners, but it sounds like there's very little (or NO) bang for the buck as far as handling is concerned. Thanks- I appreciate the info!
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BLACKO7GT

ORIGINAL: jayel579

Wrong.

As withanything in life, you can't believe everything you hear... that's why I only said I was "thinking" of adding one. I was led to believe that the strut tower braces stiffened and improved the handling of the car. If there is no benefit, suspension wise, there is no point inwasting money on one. I appreciate the information... you just saved me fromtossing away $$ on something that doesn't work!

As far as the "bling" factor... I HATE bling. (I'm as UN-bling as I can get). I bought the car used and the GT appearance package was already on it.I really didn't want the non-functioning hood scoop andrear spoiler- but "them's the breaks" as they say. Theengine coverdoes add a nice touch to the top of the manifold however, IMHO.
Hi Black07GT,

If your question werebeing applied to a coupe STB's do nothing to help the car but add weight and shinny factor. So no, they don't have any value from my perspective which isfrom a handling perspective. I've done some testing and there is almost no flex in the front towers even with mymoderately stiff 250lb. street coilover springs. Your vert by comparison is usingsprings that I have tested on a German made high precision (0.000000N six places!)spring measurment fixture in the 128-130lb. range which is about 10lbs. less than a coupe.

I cannot comment as to fit but for a vert. anything you can do to help stiffen a vertwill help handling and ride. Verts already come withsofter engine and suspension calibrations due to the floppy chassis and if you have any hope of making the car handle at its best you will need a good stiff 1-piece welded4-point STB (redued flexusing all of the strut mount bolts) and a set of BMR heavy duty rectangular sub frames welded in place. Even after all this there is nothing you can really do to fullyrestore the torsional rigidity of a vert anywhere near a coupe's torsional numbers. But if absolute handling and grip are not what you are interested in (you did buy a vert after all) just drive it and enjoy it as it is but don't get too crazy with high spring rates or damperrates and you will be fine.

HTH!