Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Crap, installed bumpstop upside down

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Default Crap, installed bumpstop upside down

Well I just finished my steeda sport spring/HD strut mount & d-spec install today and I realized when I did my drivers side strut last night I installed the bumpstop in the wrong orientation. I noticed when I took off the passenger side today and noted the orientation. I am so mad at myself, I had instructions in the house but I didn't get them to confirm because I was sure I had the orientation correct.

Now if I want to correct this I have to pull the strut again, but now I'll probably need new hardware because they have already been re-used once.

Is this bumpstop thing a little deal or a big deal? Do I need to bother correcting it at all?

My intial test drive was very pleasing, the d-specs rule. The springs cured a lot of body roll & dive on braking and acceleration. The car reacts to the smallest steering inputs (probably thanks to the strut mounts).

Regarding the strut mounts, which way to I move them to increase negative camber, towards the engine or towards the wheel.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Crap, installed bumpstop upside down

Hmm, I cant see how you did it wrong really. Upside down? No biggie. I did not even re-install mine
Old 07-02-2008, 02:41 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails

Well I just finished my steeda sport spring/HD strut mount & d-spec install today and I realized when I did my drivers side strut last night I installed the bumpstop in the wrong orientation. I noticed when I took off the passenger side today and noted the orientation. I am so mad at myself, I had instructions in the house but I didn't get them to confirm because I was sure I had the orientation correct.

Now if I want to correct this I have to pull the strut again, but now I'll probably need new hardware because they have already been re-used once.

Is this bumpstop thing a little deal or a big deal? Do I need to bother correcting it at all?

My intial test drive was very pleasing, the d-specs rule. The springs cured a lot of body roll & dive on braking and acceleration. The car reacts to the smallest steering inputs (probably thanks to the strut mounts).

Regarding the strut mounts, which way to I move them to increase negative camber, towards the engine or towards the wheel.
Hi Vapour Trails,

I'm happy to hear you are happy with the suspensionstuff we've been talking about.While technically the bumpstops are designed to collapse at the pointy end first but I don't see this as a problem. To increase negative camber you move the tops inward towards the center of the car.

HTH!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

F1. how do you move the stops towards the center of the car. My understanding is that these just slide over the strut rod assembly. Upside or down, no angle available, goes according to the strut angle.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I think I am to tired and may have read that wrong after re-reading.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I did the same thing and so far have not had any problems. This is after two track days and about 500 miles on the car
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: F1Fan
'.....the bumpstops are designed to collapse at the pointy end first....'
HTH!
How are we laymen supposed to understand all this tech-talk?

Jazzer [8D]
Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, I really did not want to pull the strut again. I'll just take a peak at it every now and then and see how it holds up.