Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable panhard installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Default Adjustable panhard installation

I've found out the hard way that panhard installation is not as easy as it seems with a bar that has adjustments at either end (Steeda for instance).

On friday I took the stock bar off, installed the steeda and centered the diff. I could not get a tool on the pass. side locknut, so I tighted the bar into the locknut, then secured the drivers side nut. I thought this would work - but on saturday the pass. side nut was loose.

On sunday morning before autocross I removed the pass. side end of the bar, as I saw this as the only way to properly tighten the pass. side locknut. Once locked down I tried to reinstall that end of the bar but the chassis mount didn't line up with the hole in the bar anymore - the axle shifted because I removed the bar.

So you have a bar that
-needs to be installed in order to set diff. position
-cannot be tightened when installed on the car
-cannot be reinstalled when set to proper lengthbecause of axle movement
= pure engineering genius

I was informed that I may need someone to exert force on the axle to get the mounting holes to line up after the bar is at the correct length to center the diff.

My question is how the hell you guys managed to get it installed tight, with the proper length.

Why did ford need to 'shield' that chassis mount like they did? And why couldn't the adjustment locknut on that end be moved out slightly so it is accessible without removal?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Adjustable panhard installation

Sorry to here about your installation problems. That is why we make our bar with the adjusteroffset in the bar so it ison car adjustable. The best way is get the new bar close to the old bars length install it and then do your adjustments with the suspension loaded.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

This isn't hard, just use a little common sense.Put the bar on the car, adjust the bar to the length needed to center it. Pull it off the car and tighten the jam-nuts. I just chuck the bar in a vice (a good PHB will have flats in it), hold the rod-end with an adjustable wrench to keep it from turning as I tighten the jam-nut.

I understand that on the car adjustables are easier... but they also aren't as solid, and it's not exactly rocket science to adjust the bar to length and then tightening the jam-nuts off the car and re-install. And FWIW, you can use Loctite too.

BTW, the fact that jam-nuts can loosen ought to tell you just how much load is being put through a PHB....

You might need a hand, because when the PHB is set to length and you go to put it in for good the holes might not line up. You often need someone to push on the quarter panel so you can get the bolt through the hole.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sam Strano

You might need a hand, because when the PHB is set to length and you go to put it in for good the holes might not line up. You often need someone to push on the quarter panel so you can get the bolt through the hole.
Yes this is my problem. I didn't know how to resolvethis issue at the time, and I was working alone. I hate how instructions, regardless ofthe source, never tell you the little tricks you will need to actually get it right.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Which is why I try, whenever possible, to pass along any tricks I know to my customers involving the product.