Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Step Up Track Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Stoenr said - "Excellent, thanks guys. Just preparing for next years race season. Cant believe the HP+'s were approx 50% worn after one day event. Im going to try and push them for 2 days."

Wow - I've got about 7 track hours (4 events) on my Ferodo DS2500 fronts and HPS rears.

Have you got front brake cooling on your car?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nope, but may think about another pad for when these are toast. I just get the Hawks at a great price wholesale from the Tire Rack,
Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Excellent, thanks guys. Just preparing for next years race season. Cant believe the HP+'s were approx 50% worn after one day event. Im going to try and push them for 2 days.

I always take the stock pads I took off (only had ~500 miles on them) with me to the track in case I somehow wear down to metal on the track pads. At least I'll have something to drive home on. You may want to consider this if you think you're pushing your HP+'s.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Good thinking! Will do.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

HPS and HP Plus pads are NOT track pads. I know, I know, Hawk claims Pluses are, but it's bull on any track that isn't just easy on brakes--espeically in a car with as much weight and potential speed as a Mustang.

Why risk your $30k car and potentially getting hurt by running street pads that aren't tolerant of the abuse? Argonaut and Jayel got their pads from me. So far both seem more than happy and you see they are not having trouble with them. There are other compounds and pads, sure.

I love the Ferodo's and sold Sleeper his, and so far it's clear they are holding up well. Yes, track pads cost more... and it's up to you if you spend half as much and wear through twice as many pads, while also not having the stopping power or fade resistance you get with track pads. I think it's false economy, and you end up changing pads more often anyway because street pads just wear faster. And even if you didn't, you'll glaze and probably crack the street compound pads after a day on the track anyway.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
...I love the Ferodo's and sold Sleeper his, and so far it's clear they are holding up well.....
The reason I was able to get Ferodo's is that I'm running the GT500 front brake kit and as a result Sam suggested the Ferodo's as they are available for these front calipers. They are not available for the rears so Sam suggested Hawk HPS for them.

As far as I know Ferodo DS2500 pads are not available for the stock front calipers and this was recently mentioned by someone else in another post.

The only issue I have had is after a hard day running with the ABS kicking in the pads end up putting 'spots' of pad material on the rotors. Originally I thought they were hot spots but after rebedding the brakes on the street the spots went away. I suspect that the rapid ABS on and off action causes the spots.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
HPS and HP Plus pads are NOT track pads. I know, I know, Hawk claims Pluses are, but it's bull on any track that isn't just easy on brakes--espeically in a car with as much weight and potential speed as a Mustang.

Why risk your $30k car and potentially getting hurt by running street pads that aren't tolerant of the abuse? Argonaut and Jayel got their pads from me. So far both seem more than happy and you see they are not having trouble with them. There are other compounds and pads, sure.

I love the Ferodo's and sold Sleeper his, and so far it's clear they are holding up well. Yes, track pads cost more... and it's up to you if you spend half as much and wear through twice as many pads, while also not having the stopping power or fade resistance you get with track pads. I think it's false economy, and you end up changing pads more often anyway because street pads just wear faster. And even if you didn't, you'll glaze and probably crack the street compound pads after a day on the track anyway.
Im sorry Sam, but here I have to disagree with you. The HP+ are track pads and good pads from my experience. Going into turns from a 120 mph straight, they perform great. This is just one opinion, but they did the job as they are suppose to. Hate to disagree with you since you have a boat load more knowledge than I, but for the novice driver to say they are not track pads is not right. We are not all track only guys, dont forget. Most of us drive these cars daily.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

And I watched a set melt in 5 laps @ BeaveRun here in PA on an M3.....

They are not track pads. You might get by with them, but I don't think what you just claimed and "Cant believe the HP+'s were approx 50% worn after one day event. Im going to try and push them for 2 days" exactly go together. They were that worn because they aren't up for the abuse and clearly didn't take it well.

Compare your wear to those with actual dedicated track pads. Much better wear, and I guarantee you more stopping power.

You can do what you like, after all to many money talks. I just think it's silly to spend 2/3rd as much on pads that last 1/2 as long and don't work as well. Maybe good enough for a certain track that you don't lose brakes, but on the whole sub-par for any sort of serious track use.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I stand corrected, thanks Sam for the insight
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

FWIW, every 100 degrees of brake temp over normal results in about double the normal amount of brake wear.

Quick Reply: Step Up Track Pads