Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Track Day - Mosport GP Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Track Day - Mosport GP Circuit

Yesterday I was at my 5th track day and second event at the Mosport GP circuit. Mosport is an awesome high speed 2.46 miles with 10 turns and lots of elevation changes. The back straight is over a mile long. Here is the track map http://www.mosport.com/roadhome.htm. The American LeMans cars ran there Aug 21/24. Corner 2, a blind, double, apex negative camber, fourth gear turn is ranked among the best in the world - more about it later.

The event was mainly a test and tune for the SoloSprint event being held today and most of the cars were preparing for it. There were two run groups of 30 minutes each which meant a maximum of 7 sessions for $250 CDN. As the groups were split on the basis of your last name this meant I was no longer running with novices and so had to really watch my mirrors! They also allowed 'wave by' passing at 3 spots per lap.

I was a little late and didn't get out for the first session. On my first run I was ragged and trying to learn my way around again. A check of the tires after showed the fronts up to about 43 so all were reset to 40.

For the second session I had one of the SoloSprint drivers ride with me and he really helped calm me down and get smoother. I was still waving cars past but once they got past was better able to stay with them for longer. The car also felt better - probably due to the tire pressure adjustment.

The third session, on my own, was the most interesting. There was a new 1 series BMW (the 300 HP version) and I waved him past on turn 1 and then tried to follow him into turn 2 - not a good idea! I realized very quickly I had gone in too fast and was going off track. Once on the grass heading for the tire wall it was all a matter of trying to stay calm and get enough steering to keep off the tire wall. Fortunately I missed it by about 3 feet and got back onto the track safely!! The run back to the pits was at a "reduced pace" and the car checked out fine with no damage.

My instructor was back for the next session and again I benefitted greatly from his input.

The car ran well with no problems.

I was on my own and so had no timed laps but a couple of other Mustangs owner's I was talking to and running with/near figured I was probably lapping around 1:50 or an average of 80 MPH.

Some things I learned;
1) Z06's driven well are fast and Z06's driven well on R compounds are even faster.
2) the difference between high performance street tires and R comps is significant
3) A 280 HP 1300 lb Caterham is really fast and fun to watch
4) having 445 HP on tap is great fun on a mile long straight but can't always compensate for doing a good job on the corner onto the straight (Moss corner)
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Nice write-up, Sleeper. Sounds like a great track. Yup--Z06's with a good driver are damn impressive. But...more often than not they don't have good drivers and we can spank them.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

yup, have taken quite a few z-06's, to my astonishment.
i was thinking, "i shouldn't be [able to be] passing him, . . . but i am/can!!"

roughly 16/18 porsches at the last two PCA event i attended were weighed in the balance, and found wanting. including 1 carerra 4s, and a carerra turbo, as well as all the boxters and caymans.

(one of the two i couldnt handle was a 4 wheel drive carerra (new-ish model year) and the guy was a good driver as well).

i was surprised, as i figured i would be the end marker, as a big old heavy domestic, (relatively stock at that), compared to PORSCHES
Old 10-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doc stang
yup, have taken quite a few z-06's, to my astonishment.
i was thinking, "i shouldn't be [able to be] passing him, . . . but i am/can!!"

roughly 16/18 porsches at the last two PCA event i attended were weighed in the balance, and found wanting. including 1 carerra 4s, and a carerra turbo, as well as all the boxters and caymans.

(one of the two i couldnt handle was a 4 wheel drive carerra (new-ish model year) and the guy was a good driver as well).

I was surprised, as I figured I would be the end marker, as a big old heavy domestic, (relatively stock at that), compared to PORSCHES
Glad to hear your holding up the domestic end of the battle.

As has been said in this forum on more than one occasion driver skill counts for a whole lot! For me running in novice groups I have passed a few of Corvettes and also the occasional Bimmer and sailed past a GT500. This weekend was really different for me as most of these were serious track guys,i.e. SoloSprint competitors, and a lot of the cars were trailered in. It was humbling to see how fast they were going through the corners.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
There was a new 1 series BMW (the 300 HP version) and I waved him past on turn 1 and then tried to follow him into turn 2 - not a good idea!
Nice report. I am also making a list of cars that I do_not_try to follow into corners!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Any pics of you on the track?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Wow Colin - close call with the wall. Very glad you didn't hit, that would have sucked. So corner 2 is negative camber and fourth gear...pretty fast. Sounds tricky. Sometimes I worry its to nice of a car to be doing this with, but then I have so much fun its worth it. Thats why I like tracks with lots of run off, you go off track and its no big deal, just mow a little grass.

My first session of the day always seems to be choppy, even on tracks I'm familiar with. It takes about 20 minutes to re-learn that pushing it does not = speed. Trying to go fast is a certain way to go slow. Then I remind myself of a few things: don't look at the cars in front of me, look right thru them. Eyes up. Smooth brake, smooth throttle. And ta da....suddenly I'm going much faster.

I think Corvettes, especially the C5 and C6 Z06s, show just how important the driver is. In the hands of good drivers they are wicked fast. Same car in the hands of a lessor driver is a confidence builder...for us.

R-comps really are the bomb. I'm well aware of all the arguments for learning on street tires and agree with that theory for the first several events but after that - for me R-comps have worked out really well, I put them on and haven't looked back. The NT01s are very predictable and confidence inspiring. And they stop a whole heck of a lot better. They are even better in damp and light rain than most high performance street tires, as long as there isn't standing water.

Mosport sounds great, someday I'll make it up there. 80 MPH ave lap times is very fast, wow, that is one high speed track. The miatas must get killed on it. Seven sessions for $250 CDN is one heck of a deal.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I don't have any pics from yesterday but a found a video from the Mustangs at Mosport event last year. Corner 2 is the first one after you come out of the pits. I don't know who the driver is but he has the right line.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...007_123068.htm
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I don't have any pics from yesterday but a found a video from the Mustangs at Mosport event last year. Corner 2 is the first one after you come out of the pits. I don't know who the driver is but he has the right line.
That track has some serious elevation change. Turn 2 does indeed look tricky.

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-06-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
That track has some serious elevation change. Turn 2 does indeed look tricky.
Turn 4 is also blind, down hill and 4th gear!

I have a pdf file of Ron Fellows descibing how to get around but it is too big to upload here. I'll try to PM it to you - edit I tried but can't figure out how to add an attachment to a PM

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 10-06-2008 at 05:01 PM.