Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Rough ride with these installed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Default Rough ride with these installed?

Waiting to go into the car: GMS single strut tower brace, Steeda G-trac brace, BMR panhard rod and non-adjustable lower control arms. NO springs or any other suspension modificarions, just the ones listed above:

Will they ride be rough?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The PHB and LCAs will have stiffer bushings. Anytime you replace the stock rubber bushings with poly or rod end...you will get more NVH in the car. Whether or not you interpret the increased NVH as a "rougher ride" is subjective - some will feel that way, some won't.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Well, if the baby seat gets regular use you probably won't notice any increase in NVH at all.

Also, if you're even remotely "hardcore" you won't likely notice enough of an increase to care. You're most likely only going to be too pleased with how much better the new panhard controls the rear to remember you were concerned about the ride. If you like to launch hard, then the new control arms are also going to put a huge smile on your face. If you don't launch hard, there's a good chance you won't notice or care about the increase NVH from the arms. Everything else is likely to be a wash; you'll hardly notice them.

Argonaut's point is well taken; I think there's a useful distinction you can draw between NVH and ride harshness. The later is just the overall noise heard and in some instances felt. The later is a change in how the suspension responds to road irregularities (think stiff and bumpy vs. Caddy smooth). From what I understand (which gives you an important qualification right there!) the items you are installing don't typically effect ride harshness. Shocks and springs are going to change this in far more noticeable ways than bushings. Harder bushings are going to allow the suspension to move as they were designed w/less deflection. So bushing will effect ride only to the effect that softer bushings will "give" more before (or for a short initial period during the time) they transmit forces to the shocks and springs. The shocks and springs are still doing the lion's share of the work controlling those forces that we feel as the ride. So for the most part, your ride won't be much different, it will just feel a bit tighter and more precise. Noise is an entirely different matter. You will get more noise with the new bushings, but only you can know your tolerance for such things.

Me, my car is rather noisy in this regard for a daily driver...and I LOVE it.

Best,
-j