Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

PHB install

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default PHB install

Is it necessary to unload the suspension when installing a new PHB and HD brace, or can it all be done with the car on ramps?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You should have no problems installing PHB at ride hight, but would have to be the same lengh and that is incorrect . Start with the following:

Measure how much you are off-center prior to lifting your car. Let's say it is 1/2" too far to the drivers side. Lift the car and support by the frame and allow the axle to hang. Remove the existing PHB and place it along side the new one. Adjust the new one so it is 1/2" shorter. This will not equal EXACTLY 1/2" at ride hight, but close enough for those not using geometry . You may need a friend to help move the axle over as it can be difficult to move over and install bar simultaneously.

Tighten everything back up and put 'er on the ground. Drive around the block a couple times and re-measure/re-torque. You may have to tweak your adjustments once or twice as the axle will have some lateral travel depending on angle you may be parked.

HTH

Jazzer
Old 12-27-2008, 09:43 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Well my car has not been lowered, i just got the adjustable one in case i lower my car down the road. So I should be fine with the car on the ground or on ramps? I guess my main question is whether I will be able to get the stock PHB out with the suspension loaded.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

With the car loaded you can un-install the stock PHB. The car will undoubtably shift a little bit, possibly to theleft or right as well as fore and aft. A simple safety net move is to use a strap and secure the axle to the frame before you disconnect the PHB. Then the axle won't move fore or aft. You don't have to worry about the left to right shift becuase you have an adj PHB. You can lengthen/shorten it as neccessary to re-install it. Put he PHB brace into position prior to installing the PHB since on the passenger side they sit on top of each other and with the stock PHB out you can slip the PHB brace into place easier. Tighten the brace, then the PHB. Note, I had to raise the car to allow my tools to reach the nuts on the PHB brace to tighten it. Then lower the car back down. Completely torque down the PHB and then using a weight suspended from the wheel well measure how far off the axle is. Then just adjust the PHB until she's centered.

edit* It may depend on what kind of adj PHB you have. Mine is on-car adj so once I got it on there was no remeasuring and un-install or re-install neccessary.

Last edited by UrS4; 12-27-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I can guarantee you that your rear axle isn't centered perfectly from the factory.
None of these cars are.
You can do the job with the load on the axle but you'll need a come-along to shift the new bar in place.

Take measurements of the OEM bar when you have it off the car.
Then adjust the new bar to the dimensions of the old one, less what you need to have it in the center. Usually 1/8 of an inch, since most cars are off by 1/4 at least.

Take measurements at both side of the car first though, to determine how much it's off before you do anything (all 4 wheels on the ground).
The driver side wheel is always closer to the quarter panel lip than the other side.

Here are pics of the come-along helping you getting the rear axle meeting the PHB...

Last edited by pascal; 10-04-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys!