Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Caster Camber help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 PM
302me
2nd Gear Member

Default Caster Camber help

I took my car into get an alignement w couple of weeks ago and they pretty much told me I'm screwed. All my angles are off by almost 4-5 degrees. They were really cool, and tried everything to get it as straight as they could but to no avail, I'm still off. Any suggestions on a different kits to help get the alignement back straight. I'm really not looking forward to wearing out a brand new set of tires so soon.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

maximum motorsports has one of the best kits, but they are a little pricey. http://www.maximummotorsports.com
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

You can get camber bolts for $30 that will allow them to get it all aligned, or if you want to ability to adjust the camber angles whenever you feel like it, you could go with camber plates. Maximum Motorsports and J&M are popular on here for the plates (they'll run you $250-350). Just depends on what you think you need.

Bolts:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=5

Plates:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...mounts-p-20019
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...plates-p-15138
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

since you lowered i assume that is 4 to 5 deg neg,there are many kits to adjust camber,that is really negative camber,how much drop is it?Also i'm not sure caster is adjustable.When you get the camber into spec the toe will also come back closer to spec.The camber bolts work,but the plates are much better,and also cost more.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by charliebrown266
Also i'm not sure caster is adjustable.
When I got my alignment, I was told there is no caster adjustment on these cars. I know the Steeda mounts only give camber, as do camber bolts.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
302me
2nd Gear Member

I apreciate the suggestions. I don't really want to spend that kind of money, but in perspective it's better than 300 a tire.

I can't remember off the top of my head w/o looking at the sheet but I'm pretty sure the C/C was like 7.2L and 7.4R and the toe was also way off.

My other set of tires were in great shape, except for the inside was bald as hell from the alignement being off. I just have to break down and get the plates.

Thanks again for the referral, I'll let everyone know if I can't get everything back to spec.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

Popular myth is that you have to have camber bolts/plates to adjust camber. You can simply slot the strut bolt holes and achieve the same thing. When the best alignment shop in Houston preaches this instead of selling more parts, I tend to believe them. It's worked perfectly fine on my car.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I'm going to need an alignment soon, what shop in Houston are you referring to and what do they charge?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Also, the Maximum Motorsports plates also allow caster adjustment in addition to camber.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Wow, you're off by that much? Dang, your wheels must be almost sideways, lol! A couple degrees each would make more sense; but depends how much you dropped after lowering.
Typically, camber bolts won't give you that much adjustment, so you might have no other option than upper mounts. Just for reference, my front end dropped just under an inch and the camber increased (to the negative) by .5-.75 degrees, just out of spec.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Caster Camber help