Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Bolt Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Bolt Sizes

Is there a place I can go to get all the sizes for the different bolts in our suspension? Since Ford was so kind to supply use with a bunch of awesome one-time-use bolts, I'll be replacing them with Grade 8 hardware from here on out any time I do an install. For now the sizes I need are for the Caliper and Caliper Bracket bolts and the Chassis and Axle side bolts for the LCA's.

If there is a comprehensive list somewhere, that would be great. I just want to know what I'm looking before before I get everything taken apart and would prefer to not have to spend all day driving around trying to match bolt sizes at the different hardware stores. If anyone has the FSM, it should have the sizes, right?

Appreciate it, guys.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Whatever they are (can't get to my FSM on this computer), they'll be metric and will carry grade numbers that look like 10.x or 12.x. I'd be careful where I source any replacement fasteners.

Norm
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Well, where would you trust getting them? Or would it be better to just keep buying replacements every time I take something off? It just seems like that would be annoying as hell.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90 5.0 at C-C.com
How 'bout a good source for bolts?
Originally Posted by gt40
IOW, what passes for "Grade 8" at places like Home Depot may be "iffy" in terms of quality control even though the fasteners carry six lines. While such bolts might be OK with OE-ish power levels and OE tires on regular streets, I'd be getting uneasy as power and grip levels rise (think R-compounds, Drag Radials, suspension upgrades, starting line prep, etc.) and as the average driving intensity goes up.

A little more tech:
You don't want the threaded portions of any fasteners placed in bending or in a "shear plane". Here, it's the threaded length that matters. And you don't want to cut more threads if the threaded length comes up short - cut threads are far less resistant to fatigue than the rolled threads that you should be using for fasteners as mission-critical as suspension pivots.

A lot of people who read threads like this won't make any distinction between moderate street driving and much more competitive types of driving, and I'd guess that very very few of us inspect suspension fasteners on any regular basis. I can't even say that I do.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-17-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Is there a place online I can find the FSM, or do I just need to order one?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I re-used all my hardware. Autoxed with Rs, drag raced with drag radials, I'm still alive. I know 2 other S197 autoxers that re-used all the original hardware, they are alive too. This is Ford CYA, because of the nylon inserts.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Well I'm going to have to get new bolts for my LCA's since BMR doesn't use metric openings. Don't want any clunking...
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

+1 on the nylon inserts,that why i think they say replace them,also use some blue thread locker.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Well I'm going to have to get new bolts for my LCA's since BMR doesn't use metric openings. Don't want any clunking...
If you make sure that the bushings (and I'm guessing that they are polyurethane) are no longer than their inner sleeves, the joint maintains adequate tightness just from the bolt torque. It's when the poly is longer than the sleeves it effectively robs some of the clamping force from the [bracket side] - [inner sleeve] - [other bracket side] stack that things move around and make noise. When the suspension moves, the poly rotates and any friction being developed with it essentially disappears.

Norm
Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Texotic, I mostly reuse the same hardware when it will fit. However, I have also ordered some replacements (driveshaft bolts and a couple of LCA bolts) online I think from directfordparts.com or something like that. I called them and they looked up the part #s I needed.

Norm makes a very good point on the bolts, in that the threaded portions are not as strong as solid parts. Just be careful when using non-oem bolts for critical fasteners.

Quick Reply: Bolt Sizes