Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

bad night for the GT CS. need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
DynamiteBlues

Default bad night for the GT CS. need some help

To make a long story short, I was turning over a road with a dip, after the dip the car got so light on its feet that the rear immediately 'snapped' loose and the rear driver side wheel met a curb. it basically hit the curb perpendicular. The problem is, it pushed the rear out of center. my panhard is bowed and the rear is sitting an inch or two towards the passenger side. i know the panhard is definitely going to need to be replaced from what i can see. as well as the rim. can any one offer some advice for what else i should check to see it if needs to be replaced? the lower control arms are surprisingly as straight as a ruler. I was thinking the upper control arm and mount might be bent as well? though i haven't had a chance to look at it in sunlight yet. has anyone experienced a similar situation? if the panhard is bent, then the other bar that supports the panhard should also need to be replaced correct? any help would be greatly appreciated. any nice adjustable panhards for sale might interest me !
Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

http://www.q1045.com/cc-common/babes/botd2.html
Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DynamiteBlues
To make a long story short, I was turning over a road with a dip, after the dip the car got so light on its feet that the rear immediately 'snapped' loose and the rear driver side wheel met a curb. it basically hit the curb perpendicular. The problem is, it pushed the rear out of center. my panhard is bowed and the rear is sitting an inch or two towards the passenger side. i know the panhard is definitely going to need to be replaced from what i can see. as well as the rim. can any one offer some advice for what else i should check to see it if needs to be replaced? the lower control arms are surprisingly as straight as a ruler. I was thinking the upper control arm and mount might be bent as well? though i haven't had a chance to look at it in sunlight yet. has anyone experienced a similar situation? if the panhard is bent, then the other bar that supports the panhard should also need to be replaced correct? any help would be greatly appreciated. any nice adjustable panhards for sale might interest me !
Sorry to hear about that man

I would jack it up and check everything out. Just so you know it may be expensive and you could claim it as a accident though your insurance (your rate will go up though). Also, if you are going through your insurance, just bring it to a ford dealer. They will go out there and fix everything that needs to be replaced.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I quickly looked through our sponsors websites and i think lmperformance.com has the cheapest panhard bar and brace. the bmr ph bar is 100 and the brace is 110 with free shipping.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

brenspeed has the same parts for the same price and free shipping if you prefer them. i have ordered from both companies and they are both great.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Wow, sorry to hear of this.

First, +1 on a very thorough run through of all the underpinnings, including the best assessment you can make of the basic frame/chassis condition.

Quick point, the bar that supports the panhard is a chassis brace that spans from one frame rail to the other. So, if you're lucky it did its job in reinforcing the frame and kept it intact. That would leave the panhard to do the work of keeping your axle located. The panhard's failure does not necessarily mean that it would have warped/bent the frame or panhard support. Of course, as others have pointed out, these parts are not that expensive and replacing yours (esp. if it's OEM) is well advised. Again, if you're lucky, the panhard absorbed enough of the load to leave all else safe.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised that the control arms are ok. If they're still OEM the rubber bushings have so much play that they probably just went with the flow. Your panhard had no assistance from any of these other components (they're not even designed to work in these planes regardless of bushing type) in resisting the impact.

Good luck!
Best,
-j
Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
DynamiteBlues

jahudso2 thanks for the pricing but i already ordered a J&M adjustable panhard for about 110 with free shipping. I'm thinking about just installing the new panhard myself then bringing it to a pro down the road if i have any problems. It is still driving fine with zero noise from the rear just a little to the side. Can any one come up with exact stock panhard measurements so i would know about where to set the aftermarket one for a starting point?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey DynamiteBlues,

My old notes indicate that the OEM bar is 41-3/4" eye-to-eye. That should get you close enough to either nail it (assuming you're not lowered) or require only minor adjustments. Keep in mind that even stock Mustangs have been reported to be within a variance, some guys go out and measure their bone stock cars only to realize their 1/4" off to one side (many guys are perfectly centered). Good luck and keep us informed.

Best,
-j
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
DynamiteBlues

eye as in the dead center of the bolt? also, the longer the panhard the more towards the driver side, correct?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

i have my stock PHB left over if you want it. pm me

Quick Reply: bad night for the GT CS. need some help