Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT500 Strut Mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Default GT500 Strut Mounts???

I recently got a set of Eibach Sportlines and I am beginning to put together everything to do the install. My question is will the GT500 strut mounts be a good choice or should I go with something like Steeda? I like the Steeda mounts, but 275 is a little steep, and I plan on getting camber bolts so adjustability won't be an issue. I can pick up the SVT strut mounts significantly cheaper. My car sees normal street duty. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The GT500 upper strut mounts are plenty good.
The Steedas are a big jump up in quality and price.
There would also be more NVH with the steeda mounts.
GT500s are good enough for an everyday driver with
40-55 series tires.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I ordered the SVT strut mounts. They will be in tomorrow. They'd better be good enough. I'll take the springs off before I spend 300 bucks on some F'ing mounts. By the way, my passenger side mount failed right away. Starts popping everytime I turn at low speed. However, in the last few days, it seems to have stopped doing that. Any thoughts on that? Maybe it was something else?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Archer1

Default Gt500 suspension bits

I just put GT500 take off shocks on my 05' GT. It has 78,000 miles on it so it seemed like a cheap fix. I coupled it to Ford Racing lowering springs and new GT500 strut mounts. Also Steeda Camber plates. Everything is working nicely! Looks much better too. The GT500 strut mounts are supposed to have harder rubber in them for less flex and it meant I didn't have to disassemble the old struts or need a spring compressor. The clicking in your strut mount could be bad bearings. Either way I would toss the old mounts. Hope that helps. Steve
Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I was looking into the GT500 take off shocks/struts too. I am just wondering if those would be a decent match for the Sportlines. It looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on the strut mounts. I know there are other options but the price jumps through the roof.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
I ordered the SVT strut mounts. They will be in tomorrow. They'd better be good enough. I'll take the springs off before I spend 300 bucks on some F'ing mounts. By the way, my passenger side mount failed right away. Starts popping everytime I turn at low speed. However, in the last few days, it seems to have stopped doing that. Any thoughts on that? Maybe it was something else?
I would check the front sway bar end links for tightness.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 Strut Mounts???-img_3743.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 03-14-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I have the mounts and they were added when I did my roush stage 2 kit. Roush said it wasn't needed, but I figure why not - the mount should be changed anyway...so why not upgrade at the same time? The bad thing was I had to next day air them cause the shop was installing it that day and the next appointment I could get was 2 weeks :/ (wasn't patient enough, plus my wife wanted the parts out of here)

Read a few articles and was like crap, need to order them... Waste of money for the shipping, but not a waste for the mount itself...
Old 03-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Archer1

An update of sorts... As I said above I've put a lot of new stuff under my 05 GT. While out driving it for the first time on curvy roads I couldn't believe how much more solid it felt. Not harsh at all and 10 times quieter. Like a new car! I had no idea my front strut mounts were making so much noise. The car does have a ton of miles on it so I guess I thought that was normal. In one down hill hard stop I got a taste of "bump steer" and I didn't like it. So after the GT500 take off wheels and tires go on I'll put in the Steeda parts to cure that. The car is up on the stands again waiting for GT500 take off panhard bar and rear sway bar. I didn't use take off springs because the 500 is way heavier on the nose and I wanted it lowered some what. With the FRPP lowering springs it sits about as low as I would want to go. The back bump stops have been contacting the frame lightly so I sawed the nipple off. That made them 3/4" shorter. We'll see how that works out. What I really want IS a GT500 but too much $$$ and I'm having fun making a sort of clone out of the GT and I only paid 14K for it a year ago. And Thanks to Tacobill for his how to's...Well Done!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

Talking about top plates....

I'm also about to install Steeda springs and Tokico D-Spec struts, and at the same time I'll be replacing the top plates but not sue if I'll go with the OEM revised plates or the GT500 ones. I was told the revised GT top plate are made on harder material, would that make them similar to the GT500 ones?

Any suggestions ?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 AM
acmike
1st Gear Member

If it matters at all, the FRPP mounts are quite a bit cheeper than the normal Motorcraft replacements, about half the price. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Quick Reply: GT500 Strut Mounts???