Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

S197 Eibach Swaybar Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Default S197 Eibach Swaybar Advice?

I just bought a used set of these for cheap from a local owner. After installing them, with the front on the softest setting, I felt that the car was perfectly balanced on the street on street tires. The track-out, on-power oversteer that I had previously experience seemed so much more controlled. Previously, it felt like it would snap easily; but now the it's very smooth and predictible.

However, on 305 Hoosiers, I'm having a harder time finding the best track setting for myself. The stiffest setting seemed to be good on high speed turns. But still found myself having to trail brake on slow speed turns because I just couldn't get the car to rotate. This was running -2* of camber on the 305's mounted on 9.5" rims.

I realize this type of advice is very subjective; but any would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Edward
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

try less front camber. Also is 305 on the front? This is unrelated but there's no real reason to run a tire that big there and multiple problems stem from doing so . If you have the ability to go smaller in the front I would and then rebalanced the car so it steers neutrally, you'll be faster. The mustang needs a greater balance towards the rear tires in terms of rubber because it's a point and shoot sort of car and they are the hardest working part of the vehicle, by going so wide in the front you're compromising the easy of control of the car and adding weight friction and rotating mass. Contrary to popular belief, wider is not always better.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 AM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Camber was set by probing temps across the tires in hot pit. I had initially started @ 1.5; but there was a 10* temp gradient across the tire. Why would I want to stagger tires sizes on this thing? In most cases OEM's stagger tire sizes in performance cars to add understeer to keep their buyers from balling up their cars on the street. I don't think this applies for this car on the track.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

What are the tire temps on each tire? That's what really matters.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Tire temps were between about 215/195 f/r iirc, running 39/37psi hot f/r.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Your handling is more or less "What the ****" in that case and the best and primary way to solve it is to put a much stiffer sway bar up front and rebalanced the car front to rear . If you do this and see an improvement reduce your front camber and you should be even better off.

Last edited by Legion5; 04-27-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdwardGT
I just bought a used set of these for cheap from a local owner. After installing them, with the front on the softest setting, I felt that the car was perfectly balanced on the street on street tires. The track-out, on-power oversteer that I had previously experience seemed so much more controlled. Previously, it felt like it would snap easily; but now the it's very smooth and predictible.

However, on 305 Hoosiers, I'm having a harder time finding the best track setting for myself. The stiffest setting seemed to be good on high speed turns. But still found myself having to trail brake on slow speed turns because I just couldn't get the car to rotate. This was running -2* of camber on the 305's mounted on 9.5" rims.

I realize this type of advice is very subjective; but any would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Edward
Wow - you managed to get 305s on the front? Did you have to do anything special? I'm running 285s all round on a lowered car and get a slight rub on fiull lock on the left front. My understanding is that Roush's come with 295s all round but the only place I've ever seen 305s all round was on a full race car on display at Ford of Canada.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I think 295's are the widest I've seen on a double duty car. Saw 315's on a track only car with the Griggs SLA up front. He has to have steering stops or a ridiculous rubbing problem.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

I'm running GT500 wheels. There's no tire-to-body/suspension contact at rest. I didn't notice any rub at full lock in the paddock; and I was never at full lock anywhere on the track. There was however a wee bit of tire-to-strut contact under load - just enough to wear the paint off the strut on a spot smaller than a dime. On the tire, you'd be hard pressed to see the results of the rubbing. I'm only running these because I had them in my attic. They're a few years old; and the traction feels like it.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdwardGT
I'm running GT500 wheels. There's no tire-to-body/suspension contact at rest. I didn't notice any rub at full lock in the paddock; and I was never at full lock anywhere on the track. There was however a wee bit of tire-to-strut contact under load - just enough to wear the paint off the strut on a spot smaller than a dime. On the tire, you'd be hard pressed to see the results of the rubbing. I'm only running these because I had them in my attic. They're a few years old; and the traction feels like it.
Interesting? I'm running the same size wheels, 18 x 9.5 x 45 mm offset, but Steedas. Is your car lowered? I didn't have any rubbing, and then only on full lock while parking, until I lowered the car about an inch with the Steeda Competition springs.

Quick Reply: S197 Eibach Swaybar Advice?