Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Nitto Drag radials, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Default Nitto Drag radials, quick question

I was looking at getting Nitto Drag radials, but I have 2 questions. I do know the pros and cons of these tires. On the website they list a 285/40/18 drag radial. Can the be used on a 18x9" rim? Is a special order size? Discount tire doesn't list this size.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I found the 285/40/18 on discounttire direct but they are $282 each. At $199 each for the 275/50/17 the M&H drag radials would be a much better option. I would only mount the dragradials the day of or day before going to the track.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
I was looking at getting Nitto Drag radials, but I have 2 questions. . . . . On the website they list a 285/40/18 drag radial. Can the be used on a 18x9" rim?
Nitto's site doesn't recommend doing so. Their rim width range for that size starts at 9.5". Putting them on only 9" wide wheels might make the car feel a little "woozy" at higher speeds.

Norm
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I know the M&H 275/50/17 will fit the 17x8 rims. I called M&H about 2mths ago when I was interested in these tires.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Nitto's site doesn't recommend doing so. Their rim width range for that size starts at 9.5". Putting them on only 9" wide wheels might make the car feel a little "woozy" at higher speeds.

Norm
I dont see why it would be a problem running 285s on a 9" rim for track purposes. There are alot of people running 275s on the stock 8" rim. Myself included. No issues.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

DR's don't have a lot of lateral stiffness - that's one of the things usually sacrificed to get more straightline grip. Mounting tires on rims of below recommendations gives up a little more lateral stiffness. And finally, the lower pressures that many run give up still more.

I didn't say that you won't be able to get away with it. Just cautioning the OP about something he should reasonably expect.

Every once in a while, somebody does complain about poor stability going through the lights. Mostly, folks tell him to air the tires up a little and I guess that works well enough most of the time. I don't think I've ever seen the OP in those threads ask about any of the other contributing factors.

Actually, I suspect that going below the min recommended width costs you a little grip, since the tire's cross-section is being distorted away a little from its design shape. Maybe not a lot, but it might be just enough every once in a while. Unless there's some undocumented hot tip to the contrary, you'd normally expect the design shape for a drag tire that doesn't have to do much except hold air and go straight to be pretty close to the shape that would provide the best performance a dead-straight quarter mile at a time.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
DR's don't have a lot of lateral stiffness - that's one of the things usually sacrificed to get more straightline grip. Mounting tires on rims of below recommendations gives up a little more lateral stiffness. And finally, the lower pressures that many run give up still more.

I didn't say that you won't be able to get away with it. Just cautioning the OP about something he should reasonably expect.

Every once in a while, somebody does complain about poor stability going through the lights. Mostly, folks tell him to air the tires up a little and I guess that works well enough most of the time. I don't think I've ever seen the OP in those threads ask about any of the other contributing factors.

Actually, I suspect that going below the min recommended width costs you a little grip, since the tire's cross-section is being distorted away a little from its design shape. Maybe not a lot, but it might be just enough every once in a while. Unless there's some undocumented hot tip to the contrary, you'd normally expect the design shape for a drag tire that doesn't have to do much except hold air and go straight to be pretty close to the shape that would provide the best performance a dead-straight i live my life a quarter mile at a time.

Norm
I can't believe one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum lives by that quote!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Guess it wasn't going to stay a secret forever . . .

N
Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

I run the Mickey Thompson ET Streets. They work great. The size I run is 265-40-18. The ET Streets hook a little better than the Nittos but the nittos will last a little longer before they wear out. The 285 width will work with a nine inch rim but it is on the edge of being to wide.

Good luck,

Al
Old 05-09-2009, 11:34 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I think I am sticking with separate street and track tires. I thought about using Nittos as an a street/track tire, but I think having M&H as the track tire and Nitto 555 (non-drag radial) or BFG as the street tire would be a better idea.

Quick Reply: Nitto Drag radials, quick question