Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

problems after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

Default problems after lowering

springs - steeda sport
shock/strut - dspecs
bmr lca's, bmr adjustable panhard
aligned yesterday + ingalls camber bolts

its been almost a month since lowering my car. im getting some steering wheel shake above 60mph, not uncontrollable but its definitely there. anyone else experience this? is this from the pinion angle being off?
second im getting frontend thunk/clunk/chatter/lumberfalling noises at low speeds, the bigger the bump/pothole the louder the noise. i had the front end thunk tsb taken care of awhile ago, (so the strut mounts are the newer ones) and this noise is somewhat similar to that. anyone help on this? hd strut mounts needed? any input is appreciated guys..
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

check your sway... seems to be a common reason for the thunking (other than for bad strut mounts of course). I've had it happen to me a couple times. This last time I put locktite on... but now it's clunking again. I think I might have some bad strut mounts again .

for the shake... well maybe just take off the wheels and make sure they are free of any debris along the mounting surfaces (including the lugs). That's free and easy to fix if it's the problem... I'd start there.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I read a few posts about the small tabs that hold the rotor on at the factory can cause issues and once removed it solved a few peoples problems. I'm never experienced this myself and doesn't really see how something so small could make a difference, but it's worth a shot.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Similar setup (sports and dspecs), no issues at all. Check the knuckle bolts and camber bolts, and as mentioned, swar bar ends; they have to be tightenend properly to hold, using 2 wrenches.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

wheel stub clip things were taken off a long time ago, thanks though. ill try the swaybar endlinks and let you guys know if it helps anything.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 AM
gabb
1st Gear Member

I had a similar thunking sound when going slow and it was the sway bars. Just be glad you don't have a squeeky rear, it probably the most annoying sound I've experienced.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I just fixed a front end clunk earlier this week. Drivers side sway bar end link that connects to the shocks was loose. You have to take off the wheel to get a good look at it, but that would be the first thing I would torque.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My pasenger side lower link kept coming loose.

Solved it by switching to the Stranopart front links. However as these are rod ends they do slightly increase the NVH.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
springs - steeda sport
shock/strut - dspecs
bmr lca's, bmr adjustable panhard
aligned yesterday + ingalls camber bolts

its been almost a month since lowering my car. im getting some steering wheel shake above 60mph, not uncontrollable but its definitely there. anyone else experience this? is this from the pinion angle being off?
second im getting frontend thunk/clunk/chatter/lumberfalling noises at low speeds, the bigger the bump/pothole the louder the noise. i had the front end thunk tsb taken care of awhile ago, (so the strut mounts are the newer ones) and this noise is somewhat similar to that. anyone help on this? hd strut mounts needed? any input is appreciated guys..
Assuming that your wheels are properly balanced, yes it could very well be !! Didn't the front end Guy check your Pinion Angle while he was doing your set-up and alignment ????

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 05-06-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Just because your strut mounts are "new" doesn't mean they haven't already failed. I had to change out the TSB strut mounts on my car because they failed and started clunking again a year after they were installed.

Quick Reply: problems after lowering