Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Strut mount install

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

Default Strut mount install

I took my car to the stealership today to have the strut mounts replaced (thunking in steering after having springs replaced). The parts don't cost much ($60ish each) but the guy said it would be like $400 to do the job. He didn't seem to get what I wanted done (kept telling the part guy I wanted struts installed on all 4 wheels when I just wanted the mounts for the front wheels). So I don't know if I trust his estimate (he went in the back to talk to the work shop on the labor so I doubt he explained it right). The part guy new what I wanted but really couldn't explain it to the guy either.

How much should this job really cost me? I mean its just compressing the springs and swaping a mount, that should be $400?

They won't have the parts till next friday so I got a while, any help would be great.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:24 PM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by warnen
I took my car to the stealership today to have the strut mounts replaced (thunking in steering after having springs replaced). The parts don't cost much ($60ish each) but the guy said it would be like $400 to do the job. He didn't seem to get what I wanted done (kept telling the part guy I wanted struts installed on all 4 wheels when I just wanted the mounts for the front wheels). So I don't know if I trust his estimate (he went in the back to talk to the work shop on the labor so I doubt he explained it right). The part guy new what I wanted but really couldn't explain it to the guy either.

How much should this job really cost me? I mean its just compressing the springs and swaping a mount, that should be $400?

They won't have the parts till next friday so I got a while, any help would be great.

IMO, should take about 2 hours labour (about $150- $190) .Don't forget front end wheel alignment
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, going to make sure they adjust it when I go back. All the searching I've done says $200 + alligment and parts.

Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
biznazion

If you don't add lowering springs, then simply changing out the strut mounts should not require an alignment.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Any time that you disconnect and replace front suspension components you should at least check the alignment afterward.

Supposedly identical parts aren't, always.

Norm
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM
biznazion

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Any time that you disconnect and replace front suspension components you should at least check the alignment afterward.

Supposedly identical parts aren't, always.

Norm
Fair enough. But with no stock adjustment for castor or camber, that just leaves toe that could change. The Ford TSB on the clunking issue even includes a note about not doing an alignment after the replacement. I'm not sure about the OP's current setup - so there may be camber bolts installed already or slotted struts which would indeed require a post alignment.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i thought i had developed some clunking in the left front over small bumps and thought maybe a strut mount had failed so i called brenspeed and they quoted me $130 to install the steeda hd's.

but now my clunking is gone, so that saved me $430 (steeda hd mounts are $299) for now...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info.

I'm pretty sure its the strut mounts, thought it was that after I did my own research and 2 diffrent garages both said it was the strut mounts as well.

I was thinking about getting the steeda ones (there is a steeda place close by me and they run shop specials all the time). If these guys don't go down in price I'll just go there. If I'm going to play that much might as well get the steeda mounts.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 AM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I also noticed clunking coming from my car. Glad I decided to read this thread.