Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hoosire A6 Longjevity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Radiating

Default Hoosire A6 Longjevity?

I have a race track 30 minutes away from me and I'm wondering how many laps/track days most people get out of these? I've heard some fairly low numbers.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Track or Autocross? A6 or R6?

For track you would be on an R6, autocross you will be on the A6.

The A6 is a great autocross tire but depending on how you use them you may only get between 30 to 40 runs on them and that is stretching it! Meaning after you ran lets say 25 runs, provided you haven't chorded them at that point, you have them flipped on there rims. I have seen some of the G-Stock Mini Cooper S guys chord a set of A6's in as low as 20 runs.

If you have the R6 tires, unfortunately I cannot give you any personal experience on them. Only opinions I have heard from guys I have spoken to. All say they are a great tire but I do not remember what they said about longevity. I wish I have better information for you on that.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The fast guys in NASA Time Trials actually run on the A6. They go out and slam in a few hot laps and pull in early. Dirty bastards.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

And how long do their A6 tires last on a road course?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Not sure what will happen this year, but the last few years the Hoosier drivers have been running A6's and not R6's at the Runoffs.

Track driving is easier on the tires than autox is because wheelspin is harder to get and there isn't the brutal manhandling of the car. Plus when you have say 10 corners in 2 mines vs. 35 or 45 in 50 seconds you don't shread nearly as much rubber off. I know because I get way, WAY better wear on a track than autoxing. I also not long ago looked at a one of my video's from the Finger Lakes National Tour which I turned the wheel some 40-45 times on about a 55 second course.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
The fast guys in NASA Time Trials actually run on the A6. They go out and slam in a few hot laps and pull in early. Dirty bastards.
Gum Ball qualifiers, just like they used to do in F1 and MotoGP! The tires last long enough for an out lap, hot lap and then start coming apart when they hit pit road.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Yeah, it's sick. The TTB National Champ (x3? x4?) has something like 6-8 sets mounted at a time. They are all catalogued and he keeps track of every ounce of data on them. People think he's a cheater, since he is also the National Director....

I guarantee he's not. He is just **** and built his car to the limit of the rules.

THis year has been bad for me with the economy, but next year that trophy will be mine. My car has beaten him once before already.